Volvo to Bravo Change

worntired

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I have an old chris craft I'm modernizing. I'm going to install a 6.2 mpi with a bravo in the place of an old sbc and volvo 280. I already have the motor and most of the parts for the swap. I'm lacking the outdrive and the gimbal ring. Looking locally for the parts, it seems the gimbal rings don't really come separately and online it's almost the same price for the whole assembly vs. the ring itself. Anything I need to look at when buying the whole assembly? Also, the new motor has mounting at the front which is fine, and on the bellhousing also. Is there any harm in not mounting the back pieces? Reason being is the engine mounts on the block don't go back that far.

Is there anything else I should know about this swap? I'm redoing the transom which is why I'm upgrading everything. Is there any argument to keep the volvo? I have all the parts for the volvo, but without trim I feel like they boat won't perform as good as the it would with the trip on the bravo.

Thanks for the help!

David

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look for a VP 290A or a DPA and simply bolt in the 6.2 with VP manifolds myself

however if you choose to go with a Bravo, get a complete bobtail unit. do not try to piecemeal it, it will cost too much

unlike your volvo where the aft of the motor is supported by the transom shield and the two large o-rings, your motor with a bravo has the aft supported by the two vertical bolts and ears on the transom shield. Post a picture of your front mount, because I do not think that is correct.

here is the installation drawing for a 6.2 MPI with Bravo https://mercurymarine-gsdesign1.net...b-b782-f718a9f2977c/62lmpibravo_2000-2001.pdf which shows the adjustable side mounts, etc.

found here: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/documents/installation-drawings/

you will need to redo your engine mounting blocks as well as the transom switching from VP to Mercruiser

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys, I have an old chris craft I'm modernizing. I'm going to install a 6.2 mpi with a bravo in the place of an old sbc and volvo 280. I already have the motor and most of the parts for the swap. I'm lacking the outdrive and the gimbal ring. Looking locally for the parts, it seems the gimbal rings don't really come separately and online it's almost the same price for the whole assembly vs. the ring itself. Anything I need to look at when buying the whole assembly?
Rings can be had for less but do understand your point. You can use any of the bravo transom assemblies and have a look at Offshore Only. OSO has a classified section along with a swap and want to buy areas.

Also, the new motor has mounting at the front which is fine, and on the bellhousing also. Is there any harm in not mounting the back pieces? Reason being is the engine mounts on the block don't go back that far.
Could you explain this a bit more? What back pieces and what doesn't go back that far? The rear engine bell housing sits on the transom plate.

Is there anything else I should know about this swap? I'm redoing the transom which is why I'm upgrading everything. Is there any argument to keep the volvo? I have all the parts for the volvo, but without trim I feel like they boat won't perform as good as the it would with the trip on the bravo.

Thanks for the help!

David
VP or Bravo will work the same so long as they both have trim. Main reason I stick with Merc is more folks have them, more folks will work on them and cost of parts.