BBC build- Don't tell the Admiral

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending on the ARP bolt, its between 15% and 40% stronger than a grade 8

Even had them custom make some 220ksi bolts for work

alldodge

Staff member
I use to work for the Navy making naval guns, so finding bolts to meet or exceed the ksi requirements needed to yield the amount of torque is easy. My point is ARP has advertised to make themselves the go-to folks for bolts for marine/auto. My guess is they may not even make some if not all of the bolts being sold, just have them packaged. I think it's great to do the advertising and have folks flock to you, great marketing and kudos to them

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well, here is the valentines head bolts - Wife got off of ebay (was $110)

0213171827_zpsvzy36mkq.jpg

Here are the main studs and pistons - Ebay as well
0214171838a_zpsx6h49uvt.jpg

0214171835a_zpsoiv2n9hs.jpg 0214171836_zps8ciiig2y.jpg

off to run parts to the machine shop

Attachments

• 0214171838a_zpsx6h49uvt.jpg
    0214171838a_zpsx6h49uvt.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Just thought I would update the thread

spent the past few weeks re-doing the guest bathroom. The Admiral stated that it needed to be done and the boat can wait :mad-new::facepalm:

so here is the result:
bust up old ceramic tiles, replace with new travertine tiles
remove old vanity and formica top, replace with new vanity - re-plumb the supply and drains to fit
new granite top with delta brushed nickel faucets
eliminate the ceramic towel rack, TP holder, etc, patch the walls and replace with brushed nickel
eliminate the 42 x 62" mirror and replace with framed mirror

0326172204_zpsmy2nlfqq.jpg

since we are getting ready for the anniversary trip to Matlacha this weekend for kayaking, fishing, biking, etc, the truck got a new set of tires and I ended up changing the intake manifold (#$%@#$% GM and dexcool not compatible with their intake gaskets)

https://www.google.com/maps?q=matlac...25CngQ_AUIBigB

Now back to the boat project

finally took a morning yesterday and swung by Innovation Marine to pick up a set of coated Clevite 77 H bearings. Innovation coats all their bearings with a proprietary blend by H.W. Elliot which helps save the motor in the event the motor is spinning at 8000 rpm and you loose oil pressure from a blown hose or if you stuff it moving all the oil to front of pan

so dropped the bearings off at machine shop along with crank and rods. they will now zero-deck and internally balance the rotating assembly.

here is a pic on the bench at the machine shop.

0328170809_zpsx5uxjllt.jpg

motor should be done in a few weeks then I will build it up for a test run.

While this shop does great work, the owner is 70 and not very speedy..... I miss the machine shops of Wisconsin

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Wow,.... Lookin' Great Scott,.... Both the bathroom, 'n Especially yer motor,....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Funny I had to do our master bath last year before touching the repower on our boat...must be contagious. Both looking good. FWIW I'd rather have machinist who isn't in a rush ...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Quick update....

Will be porting my heads this weekend. Just ordered the Felpro 1071 head gaskets, intake, exhaust and conversion.....along with some ARP fasteners (rod and damper)

The Merlin heads were used on a performance boat in saltwater. The water jackets had a bit of scale.

A 3-day bath in oxalic acid and a bunch of rinsing cleaned up the water passages. First head cleaned, 2nd soaking

So far, may only need valves lapped, however will know more when i bring them in.

0430171525_zpskgk7vf0d.jpg

More pics to follow

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So on friday, my gaskets come in for me to finish porting the cylinder heads

no real re-shaping, just a bit of gasket match, followed by bowl blending and polishing the exhaust side while knocking down casting flash and mold marks in the intake side

0429171017_zps8lfahv9d.jpg 0429171522_zpsxbstthqu.jpg 0429171609_zpsqpnwaat3.jpg 0429172024a_zpsuqvf6nts.jpg 0429172024c_zpsw0a4xbew.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The heads were used....lol

I have $350 in the heads currently not including the $30 of tootsie rolls from harbor freight

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so, update from the past week.

get a call from the machine shop last Monday. cost to convert GM Performance "dimpled" rods to free-floating about $800. he said buy new scats - his cost $560. The Scat's would also save a bit on the balance being that they would be a tad bit lighter

so I listed (and sold) the perfect GM performance forged rods on CL for $100, returned the ARP rod bolts to Summit for $75 and had summit match prices on a set of Scat H-beam rods that I found cheaper at CNC-Motorsports ($414). The new forged H-beam floating pin and lighter than the GM scat rods arrived on Friday during the Cinco de Mayo party at the house. spent Saturday with a hangover

0507171055_zpsz1m3jkb2.jpg

Thursday last week, dropped the cylinder heads off to get looked over by Clearwater Cylinder Head. Took a picture of the card in-front of my heads and piles of parts just for peace of mind

0504171600a_zps7bpfvuik.jpg

Heads will be pressure tested, and they will polish the seats that I may have gotten a bit close with the die grinder

So Sunday was finally get to work on the boat day since Saturday was recoup day. cleaned up the carb, removing 5 years of bilge grunge (primarily black mold spots) and flaking paint.........tore it apart, cleaned the gasket surfaces, checked all the passages (they were all clean) and re-painted it. awaiting new bowl gaskets as even the reusable gaskets will stick a bit after 5 years of Florida heat

0507171536a_zps4y6r0jkv.jpg

Dropped the rods off at machine shop where they will be balancing the rotating assembly this coming week.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
started preping the hull for the new motor. !#$@#$ love bugs.......and lizzards....and fire ant mounts around the boat with temps near 100

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bondo , Tail_Gunner , AllDodge , anyone have the true diameter of a 168 tooth flywheel handy? need to order my flywheel, and i can order anything at this point since I need to order a starter too, however the flywheel housing opening is 14" or just a smidge smaller than 14" - (measuring 13-31/32" with a tape measure) so I may have to order a 153 tooth flywheel

alldodge

Staff member
Don't have the dimension handy but you should be using the 168 tooth ring. The 153 ring is smaller and used on older SBC

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the BBC's and SBC's over the years have come with both 153 and 168. historically the cars got the 153 with the 10.4" clutch , and the trucks got the 168 with the 11" clutch. not sure the 168 fits the VP AQ bellhousing and even the VP 740A came with a 153 tooth flywheel, hence the question.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Buddy on an old truck forum measured his flywheel. 14-3/32" OD. Wont fit in my flywheel housing. Guess that answers that

Scott Danforth

Staff member
spent the day bead blasting the pulleys, exhaust manifolds and the manifold windiage tray and lifter spider. manifolds will be painted black wrinkle paint to go with my theme. pulleys will be black.

its getting hot and the water looks so inviting driving from buddy's place to use his bead blaster. tomorrow the Admiral is helping me scrub the bilge and the cockpit sole.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Update

received a call from the machine shop..... block finally done. dang near had a heart attack when he gave me the price.

1.5 boat units vs the .6-.8 quoted. the Admiral will have my head in a bucket.

most of it was the 7 sticks of max alloy metal in the crank and the balancing because I went with internal / neutral balance on the crank vs externally balancing

spent the last few weeks working on the interior awaiting the motor to be finished.