BBC build- Don't tell the Admiral

alldodge

Staff member
I agree. Problem is the admiral will want quiet operation. So switchable exhaust going in.

I used to have a great connection at CMI, thought of a set of e-tops, however my deal was still more than a set of EMI thunders off of ebay

Hey if the Admiral is OK with loud all the time on plane but not while idling it would still work with turn downs but if not....

Guess the 224/230 cam is out, recon you go with the 218/224 cam with 112LSA and then install the diverters, might still need to bring it up an bit higher, don't know. It depends on if you have at least 12 inch above the water now on your elbows.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I didn't say the exhaust would be coming out the transom tips with admiral on board......
Shhhhhhhhh :D

I could extend the inner tube in the riser a bit and maybe get the next cam up.

Local speed shop in Tampa advertising short blocks for $900 and strokers for 1150 without core. Emailed them earlier today.

Planning on pulling the drive tomorrow, and the manifolds

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Plans changed slightly in the middle of the night. 4 Tornados touched down a bit South of me. A bit of storm damage to clean up.

Looking at Craigslist last night after the Packet game, local guy has a new set of 0.030 over KB pistons and new 5.7" H-beams for $300. Will be calling him shortly after I survey the rest of the yard. Then again, I also found a complete low mileage Gen IV 454, and another post on a 496 Eagle stroker crank for the Gen IV for $200. And another posting for NOS 7.4 liter exhaust manifolds and risers for a good price.

The one little voice in my head says sell the sbc and build a pork chop motor, the other voice in my head says stay the course with the 383 SBC.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Plans changed slightly in the middle of the night. 4 Tornados touched down a bit South of me. A bit of storm damage to clean up.

Looking at Craigslist last night after the Packet game, local guy has a new set of 0.030 over KB pistons and new 5.7" H-beams for $300. Will be calling him shortly after I survey the rest of the yard. Then again, I also found a complete low mileage Gen IV 454, and another post on a 496 Eagle stroker crank for the Gen IV for $200. And another posting for NOS 7.4 liter exhaust manifolds and risers for a good price.

The one little voice in my head says sell the sbc and build a pork chop motor, the other voice in my head says stay the course with the 383 SBC.

i feel you pain....the 454 would rule the day in that boat end of story along with that from here that hull should handle it quite well...a budget 383 would never hang with a mild 454....flat tappet cam's...cheap.....oval heads cheap. Does this 454 have cast or forged internal's.....If it has forged internals that would be my number one direction period end of story

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its a 1986 LE8 out of a 1 ton dually. the guy bought the motor to put into his hauler and stuffed it in his shed after taking it apart to re-gasket.

Oval port heads is all I could get out of him. as well as there is some surface rust from sitting, and that the motor had 45,000 miles and has a stick flywheel.

I asked for his location and plan on running to take a look at it.

being a stock motor, I doubt that there are any forged internals.

yes, the little voice on the side of my head is yelling "live life.....taste death"

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Scott Danforth

Staff member
.......:popcorn:

450 hp should be a cake walk at low cost...got a block number for that 454 it may well have forged internals with a steel crank youd get a big break if it has oval heads vs peanut head.
Will find out Wednesday. Tomorrow is shot with work. Knocking off early on Wednesday.

Talked to the guy again. Motor had need rebuilt at one time. He says oval ports.

If I do get it for a song, I may put $1200 into a set of aluminum heads and an aluminum water pump. That would keep the weight down. Need to get the motor first. Keeping my enthusiasm in check until the motor is in the garage

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a 5" HX currently, so no brine in the motor. HX is a BBC full system unit sitting on the SBC as I originally intended to go full system.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Got a call in my CL listing, may have motor sold. Had to postpone looking at the BBC until tomorrow since I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Tail_Gunner here a are pictures from this afternoon

currently still in the middle of uploading.
0121161745d_zpsofazu2r5.jpg 0121161746a_zpsfkowl5h3.jpg 0121161747b_zpsr67fkoah.jpg

Cast Crank (very rusty)
Forged Rods
Flat top pistons (very cruddy)
Head Castings 14081045
Block Casting 14015445
heavy cast iron intake
flywheel/clutch
parts in a bucket

2-bolt block

Heads come in as 119cc open chamber, small valve, oval port

motor has been sitting apart in a bucket in a leaky garage in florida without air conditioning.

came out of 1986 1 ton dually

heads look like the motor may have overheated.

comes with a bunch of accessories that will get dumped into the garbage

block and heads look rougher in person that in the pics. the guy has been cleaning the rust off the block for days with a wire wheel.

Crank has about 0.020" of rust on it.

any idea if its worth more than a core? currently block will need bore and hone. heads can be bead blasted, however would they be worth it?

I havent touched a BBC in about 20 years.

doing some reading on the heads and block tonight.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Guy wants 350. Going to check with local machine shop. Rotating kit with stroker crank is $900. Found a set of BBC EMI manifolds for $600.

Not sure on the heads.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The machine cost is critical,I'd get a cost or feasibility report of reconning that block...crank...heads. Unless you plan on turning that block over 5500 exhaust mods are simply expensive make up.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
both Machinists I talked to said find a block that hasnt been rusty unless I get it for free

may have found a 4-bolt block for $100. Awaiting email

I had also found a set of 049 heads for $300.

One machinist was willing to give me a price for the head rework, the other said for what it takes to recondition heads, get a set of bare castings and he would fill them with valves, and the springs, etc. come with the cam. He told me the prices, said price out new bare heads.

Anyone have experience with the following:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flo-T...5&cadevice=c&gclid=CJPKscC0vsoCFQwjHwodBa8DzA
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-60449?seid=srese1&gclid=CPLTltm0vsoCFcMRHwodZzMNjw
https://www.pricefalls.com/product/...e=&network=g&gclid=CKax6uy0vsoCFYeRHwodkXgOUg

missed out on a set of comp cams magnum rollers for $100

May have found a flywheel and an aluminum oil pan for reasonable.