Value of 1971' 215e

71' 215e

I'm ready to live my dream by moving to the dock. Until then, I need some help....what to do with my old 1971 215e and FMC 302; everything is complete and needs gone thru. I have no idea of the history of the items, but looks promising....I was told the gimbal bearing was out, but investigating I found a newer RH prop was put on, but maybe the stern drive was not switched to RH, but exactly what would that do(vibrations, going backwards) to the boat. The rare 215e has a switch that either can run a LH or RH prop, beneficially, every part down to old plugs and wires were saved and still in the boat. I am considering selling, rehabbing, or any alternatives....I will be doing all the work myself......and yes, it is piling up. Thanks for reading my first post. I have discovered that Mercrusier will not release hardly any repair manuals due to the high performance integrity of the 215e, and that makes it difficult for the DIY'er.
Any info would be gratefully accepted! Thanks!

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
One post is sufficiant, Being a dinosaur of a drive you need to find someone who needs what you have.Mostly were used in houseboats.
Price is conditional on demand

Yes, a complete set of dinosaur bones for the museum. I was told that these outdrives are used for racing, due to the horsepower and torque they can handle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, a complete set of dinosaur bones for the museum. I was told that these outdrives are used for racing, due to the horsepower and torque they can handle.

and every SBC is a corvette motor......

you cant always believe what you hear. it may have been used for a race once. then again, they used to race 5hp outboards strapped to bathtubs.

71' 215e

I know it's old, and parts are scarce, so can anyone let me know the value of this outdrive and any recommendations on how I should pursue the rehab of my old houseboat? I am not interested in restoring to original condition unless it proves worthy, as I just want to get here and there about the river.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Twins or a single drive,..??

Personally, I'd go find a couple rotten hulls with 3.0ls/ Alpha drives, 'n swap 'em into yer hull,...
Or just one if a single screw,...

Then sell yer 215e parts to some poor fool tryin' to keep his antique runnin',.....
Just this mornin' I saw somebody pulled up a long dead thread, lookin' for 215e parts, over at offshore only forums,...

Aye, it is a single drive...I'll have to research everything because I've been on land for way too long, but got involved last year with uncle and a new older boat...now I want nothing else except to be a permanent fixture down on the dock. Are these outdrives specifically prone to any uphill battles with it being an electric tranny, or too advanced and costly?

jbcurt00

Staff member
All the 215e topics have been combined Swabby. Try not to start multiple topics about the same subject.

I added
To the title of this topic.
Thanks

Bondo's suggestion is terrific. From here on out parts for your motor and drive wont ever get easier to find.

Last edited:
So what happens to a boat, when a right-handed prop is put on with a stern set for left. I have only one drive, with a bit of transom repair. I'll admit it, I may have been the old fart looking around OffshoreOnly to see what parts go for.

Bondo

Staff member
I may have been the old fart looking around OffshoreOnly to see what parts go for.

Ayuh,.... Somebody named Kingstowing is lookin' for a complete Merc III, which I believe is another name for the 215e,.....

I donno enough 'bout the drive to know whether it's rotation is reverseable,....

Like I said, it's a rareish antique,....

I'd still find an Alpha driveline, 'n transplant it into yer hull,......
Cheap, easy, 'n parts can be found 'bout everywhere,...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Reverse rotation would make the prop horribly ineffective because forward would be reverse, then if you shift into reverse, the prop would try to push the boat forward plus the blades are 'set' for the wrong rotation.

No good can come from it, since the prop is working the wrong way, I'd suspect there would be varying amounts of imbalance, vibration and shuddering, perhaps even cavitation.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Since your bent on a value, I'm going to go with 70# of scrap aluminum ( about $20) you can probably sell the prop on Craigslist. However if you find that one guy that wants to keep his rare and obsolete 215e drive running. My guess you could get maybe $200

Just to clear up so others do not get confused, the 215e and the 215h are their own sterndrives....someone else was telling me that they were called TR and TRS, but that is wrong as well.....I'm not positive either with the slang that's happened for 40 years, but looking the parts up, they all seem to be simular, but different sterndrives entirely. Is is true, these old houseboats would run 20+ mph? And I was told to change steel gas tanks to aluminum for safety.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Houseboat move at hull speed since they are displacement hulls. That is the laws of physics. Only if you get the boat on plane, (or lengthen the hull significantly) would it go faster

My guess 6-7 knots period, no matter if you have 50hp or 500hp pushing it

If you want it to go 20 miles per hour, put it on a trailer and tow it.

Haha, the jokes are getting funnier at least.... I don't plan to trailor any further than coasting down the ramp and hitting the brakes....I seen a few pictures is all.....seriously, I want to take off the stern drive, remove the tanks, strengthen and replace bad transom area, plumb&wire, paint motor compartmentscrape &paint bottom, spitshine everything else.....basically total boat overhaul......I'm in deep......love with this old gal! Looking for advice on things I should beware of, or implement. Should I even mention how cost efficient this build needs to be!! šŸ˜‚

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you are worried about cost, boating isn't for you. It is one of the most expensive hobbies in the world. At least it's a bit less expensive than owning an airplane

Seriously, estimate $5k for minimum. Plan on spending 2-3 times that. Expect 500-600 hours for any overhaul project and do not be surprised if it goes higher.

Last edited:
That's why I'm not a comedian....I did figure a few grand in there, and potentially 1000 hours, because I'm pretty thorough.....I can do the work, just need some coaching on occasion......I'm looking forward to every minute too, for instance......it's gonna be 10? and I'm headed that way after a few things get done at home.

Bondo

Staff member
I did figure a few grand in there, and potentially 1000 hours, because I'm pretty thorough.....

Ayuh,.... Again, for the long haul, ditch the 215e, 'n update to something you can buy parts for,....

Thanks to everyone that is posting, your all right......due to no parts, the stern does need changed, heck, you can't find any service or repair manuals either. So, my 71 Ford 302.....what is the general idea about these motors? If I'm thinking correctly, nothing will hook up to the back of this thing without changing the controls, electrical, powersteering, and trim?