Re-install of a Bravo1

Tbusa07

Recruit
I'm pulling my 502 for rebuild this weekend. Can anyone tell me if I need to replace the gimbal bearing and all the bellows and shift cable? And If I find all is still in good shape, Do I still replace with new parts? I will replace the seals, just not sure if it's necessary to replace everything else. Drive was removed last year and new gimbal bearing and bellows were installed at that time. It's a 1994 Checkmate 283 Convincor with the 502efi and Bravo1.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm pulling my 502 for rebuild this weekend. Can anyone tell me if I need to replace the gimbal bearing and all the bellows and shift cable? And If I find all is still in good shape, Do I still replace with new parts? I will replace the seals, just not sure if it's necessary to replace everything else. Drive was removed last year and new gimbal bearing and bellows were installed at that time. It's a 1994 Checkmate 283 Convincor with the 502efi and Bravo1.

Howdy

No need to replace anything if its' work correctly. The gimbal will last many years without issue, just check it for any roughness while the drive is out. My guess is your fine

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Those parts should still be good after only one year, look them over good though. You might check your drive/engine alignment while you have the drive off.

thumpar

Admiral
I think you are fine unless something happened. Put your fingers in the gimbal bearing and turn it. It should be smooth.

Tbusa07

Recruit
Thanks for the reply's.. was just about to buy a complete install kit, but I will wait and see what it all looks like..

thumpar

Admiral
Just get the O-ring install kit and you should be fine. They are pretty cheap.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know you asked about drive parts but while the engine is out I'd say check that the engine coupler still looks good along with the exhaust Y pipe (unless it has thru-hull exhaust) which those need the engine pulled to replace.

The front/rear engine mounts/mounting hardware also inspect.

Mark