Mercruiser 255 starboard drain plug

MacShorty

Cadet
First year with my new boat and winterizing today for first time ever. Port side was cake. Starboard side not so much cake. Got the water filter drained and the manifolds. I assume the block drain is in the same location as the port side...which low and back. I cant reach my arm back there wedged between the fuel tank and the manifold. I know its still slap full of water as I can see it in the thermostat housing. Any tips on how to reach the starboard drain? 1974 engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy Mac

First go to your settings under your account and select "signature"
Once there add 1974 or 1973 (as in another post about a dip stick) that you have a Ford 351 255 Inboard in a House boat. Not exactly like that but it helps when were trying to help

Your talking about the brass block plugs and not the exhaust, correct?

Bondo

Staff member
.which low and back. I cant reach my arm back there wedged between the fuel tank and the manifold.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... As with workin' on 'bout anything, ya just sometimes gotta start pullin' off pieces of the boat, or the motor, to reach what ya wanta work on,....

MacShorty

Cadet
Alldodge, yes talking about a brass petcock.

Surely when people talk about how easy and quick it is to winterize your engine they must not be counting hours to take half the engine apart. ;)

alldodge

Staff member
Alldodge, yes talking about a brass petcock.

Surely when people talk about how easy and quick it is to winterize your engine they must not be counting hours to take half the engine apart. ;)

In that case I know of no way to get to it without removing things. Maybe think about a redesign to help for next year. Find a fitting to replace the petcock and add a hose to it, then another barbed fitting and end cap.

When doing it next year remove cap let drain, then blow air up through the hose to make sure its clear and let drain again.

Off topic but similar issue: there is a house boat hear which doesn't appear to have had the oil filter changed in many years. Twin engine install and the one oil filter is rusty and different brand. Reason being is a similar situation, you just cannot reach it without removing the exhaust. Real bad part is the owner has been charged every year for two oil changes. It wasn't until he hired someone else to change the oil that this was discovered.

MacShorty

Cadet
Now that is brilliant! Thank you for that idea. I may try removing my interior panel to see if I can reach it from the back side. A drain extension is pure genius!

I bet my boat is in the same condition as the one you are referring to. Surely the plugs in the starboard side have never been changed either. Oddly enough this engine is the one that purrs like a kitten and fires up right away everytime.