McGard Stern Drive Lock

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... As a Mechanic, I hate the damn things,....

The key is never around, 'n the owner don't remember where he put it,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As a mechanic, I agree with bondo. have had to weld a nut to mine once to remove it. however as a boater that has had a prop stolen while anchored at Beer Can in Longboat pass, I recommend one.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I was just wondering if getting a stern drive lock would be a good idea. I was just browsing eBay for some good Christmas present ideas, and came across one of these. I thought I would get an opinion from you guys. Here is the one I found. Seems like a good buy to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262165488856?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Thanks, in advance for your help and opinions.
Howdy,

Yeah I have one on my drive and my props. (I actually have 2 on the drive The Bravo III is sort of expensive!!)

I used zip ties and strapped the keys to the steering cable up under the dashboard. ....They cannot escape that way.

If you do use them, make sure you save the key card with the numbers so you can replace them if you ever do lose them!

Cheers,

Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure no one over tightens them...if they strip where the key fits into the locking nut you'll have one heck of a time getting it off. Had this with my '89 Toyota: had to sacrifice a 3/4" socket hammer it on to get it off. I remove the outdrive for the winter lock it in the garage

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure no one over tightens them...if they strip where the key fits into the locking nut you'll have one heck of a time getting it off. Had this with my '89 Toyota: had to sacrifice a 3/4" socket hammer it on to get it off. I remove the outdrive for the winter lock it in the garage

Good thing the torque for a drive is no where near what it is for a lugnut!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And we don't let mechanics with air wrenches work on our out drives!