Shavings? Normal or too much

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. I'm doing annual stuff and about to winterize. Drained the gear lube and this is what the lower plug with magnet looks like. Wondering if it's about normal or too much. It's an Alpha 1 Gen 2 on a 5.0. Boat has been running great. No issues.

Attachments

• photo234510.jpg
    photo234510.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think that on all magnets stucks a little shavings.its from the gearing wear.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, looks normal. The good check is to let the lube sit in the drain pan over night. The next day slowly pour it into another container, if the bottom of your drain pan is covered in shinny stuff, you have an issue that needs checked. If next to nothing is found your good to go

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Wow! Is my Alpha 1 abnormal. I once saw a little flake but all the other years I see NOTHING. That's with 1400 running hours.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My 28 yr old Cobra usually has next to nothing on it but I'd say it's good to keep track over the years to see if there are changes. The wear can also be from the sliding dog clutch/fwd/rev gesrs and if the owner shifts a little to slowly or the shift cable is getting sticky causing slow engagement you will see more wear particles there...

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
My 28 yr old Cobra usually has next to nothing on it but I'd say it's good to keep track over the years to see if there are changes. The wear can also be from the sliding dog clutch/fwd/rev gesrs and if the owner shifts a little to slowly or the shift cable is getting sticky causing slow engagement you will see more wear particles there...

I think that's it. It's been idling what I view as too high so hits a little hard going into gear. I need to adjust the idle down. Should take care of it.