Could Somebody Please Tell me What is the Weight of a Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2?

superninja

Seaman Apprentice
I just sold a Mercruiser alpha one gen 2 complete with bell housing and trim cylinders and stainless steel prop. I should have mentioned in the ebay listing that not everything pictured is for sale, but now I have to ship the entire thing with the bell housing, I weigh 110 lbs myself, and cannot get it off the dolly onto the bathroom weight scale I have to weigh it.
The scale will crush into a thousand tiny pieces.
The shipper paid 75.00 for fedex shipping from Florida to Michigan.
I need to figure out how much I'm going to be in the hole for freight shipping this whale of an engine to Michigan now. please help me estimate it.
If you don't know, we can do this like a guessing game like the Price is Right.
I have a picture posted & the general consensus on the weight, is what the weight will be.
Thanks for any suggestions!
if you can't see the photos here is the photo link
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4YgAAOSweuxWRbLN/s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• photo234328.jpg
    photo234328.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234328.jpg
    photo234328.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo234329.jpg
    photo234329.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234330.jpg
    photo234330.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 0

superninja

Seaman Apprentice
80Ib for the drive only. I am guessing about 25Ib for the housing and rams.
Thanks sounds about right.
I may have to plop it onto a 48X48 pallet
now i know the cubic sq ft & freight class
i'll post my estimated quote I get on freight shipping
any suggestions are welcome

superninja

Seaman Apprentice
You suggest its 105 lbs but I'm 108 lbs and I truly feel this whale of an engine is about 50 lbs heavier than me, by far.

superninja

Seaman Apprentice
It takes two people to carry a mercruiser outdrive esp w the bell housing
But it only takes one person to carry me. Therefore one person could carry it if the weight was near 105 lbs.
It doesn't look 150 lbs to you?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the bravo drive is 125 (plus weight of rams and trans shield). the alpha is 80 # (plus weight of rams and trans shield).

stainless prop is about 10#

you probably have about 115-125# total as shown in the picture there.

UPS will ship up to 150

ups would be about $80-100 for shipping

fed ex freight will run it over with their trucks somewhere along the way.

for $15 you can get a digital electronic hanging scale that will give you weight (also very handy for weighting luggage prior to a flight)

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
It takes two people to carry a mercruiser outdrive esp w the bell housing
But it only takes one person to carry me. Therefore one person could carry it if the weight was near 105 lbs.
It doesn't look 150 lbs to you?

I really don't think so; 15 or 20 pounds extra maybe but not 45. The lack of a convenient handle and the odd shapes of metal outdrive can make carrying it very cumbersome.

If you never handled that much weight before, make sure you left with the mussels of your legs NOT your back. Don?t bend your back, grab the weight and then try to straighten your back to left the weight. Youtube how to left heavy weight if you need to.

Also who?s responsibility to package the drive before shipping? If it is you, make sure you add proper cushions around the drive to prevent damaging it in transit.

Last edited:

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Package it well. I purchased a drive from eBay and when I got it the skeg was broke off. You could see were they droped it during shipping..BTW it cost me 80 bucks Florida to port Huron Michigan that was just the Leg.