Ready for new SEI drive, unless I am "talked" out of it... Help please...

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok... I just got a new (to me) 1993 Bayliner "Classic" 2452. I will mention that I paid $1000 for her as she sits ($500 for boat & $500 for trailer on CL). I mention this, so that I can get honest feedback using all angles of consideration, including "value". I will try to detail my thought process as good as I can, and humbly ask for any guidance that anybody can offer. Here we go: My boat came from the factory with a 5.0 (305cid) mecruiser alpha one gen 2. It now has a 5.7 (350cid) in her (she runs great!). Currently the outdrive is off. That's the way I got her. I actually got two "lowers" with her and one "upper". One of the lower (the one that was on her before I bought it) is missing the skeg... I mean TOTALLY missing! I can take pics, she's out in my garage, but if memory serves, it's ground or broken off right at the hub! Now... This unit turns and shifts freely... smoothly. I also got with her a much nicer looking lower (with skeg intact), but this one doesn't turn as smoothly as the other one. It feels a little "gritty" when I turn it (bearings, gears... who knows). From what I can tell, any of this that I use, will need a thorough "going over". BTW, the P.O. says the reason the outdrive is off to begin with is due to "hard shift. It was discovered that the bellows were rotten, and water found it's way into the shift cable. Been there, done that... that will certainly make for hard shifting (It did on my 2052 before bellows replacement). Next: This outdrive was designed for life behind the 5.0 liter, which means (if I'm correct) they are 1:62 to 1 ratio... which I hear are not the best thing to use behind the more powerful 5.7liter (they get a 1:47 to 1 ratio). I hear that the differences in gear ratios not only make better use of the increased power of the 5.7, but are also a stronger gear with more "meat" to handle the increased loads. So that brings me to some choices to be made! I have the cash ready for a brand new SEI 1:47 to 1 alpha one, gen 2, nice and shiny, delivered to the door, plug-in, lets go! Sounds good... BUT... I've read a few unfavorable reviews as well LOTS of favorable ones. I've read about their stringent break-in procedures and 3yr "no questions asked" warranty. I can easily remove and replace the outdrive myself, so I would NOT be hiring the services of a marina or tech to do that. I also have access to friends who do this for a living. I guess I'd like to ask... are there any "more recent" stories of success or failure of the SEI drives by you guys/gals? I may be leaving the boat in the water for a lot of the season (depending on how easily she tows/launches), so paint "worthiness" is being considered here also. I paint and have my own means to shoot anything in my booth, so I can easily pull her at the end of the season and shoot it with something more robust (zinc chromate and new topcoat). OR: I can scout around on "CL" or "BAY" for a used "genuine" merc with a 1:47 ratio. Maybe it'll be ready to go, or maybe it will need a tear down/rebuild. I believe that I also read that the gear ratio is determined in the "upper" section. Maybe something to consider, as I have two "lowers". OR: I can save, save, SAVE for a new "mercruiser" leg (that's the reason I mentioned "value" earlier) for $4500 plus!!. Now, I guess I will discuss my intentions with this boat, to better get the assistance I'm asking for. I have yet to be so far out on the water, that land wasn't visible. I'm usually just poking in and out of coves, or making a quick run up the bay (Chesapeake). I also USUALLY go out with my brother or friends with another boat. I CERTAINLY would, while breaking in a new drive! I want a drive that can handle my boat and motor combo. I really don't care for "just don't hammer" it, when discussing throttle and the outdrives ability to handle it. Not that I need to go out and act like a fool with a 25foot cabin cruiser, but I just don't like the idea that my outdrive is "on it's knees" behind the 5.7, waiting to strip or break gears the moment me (or someone else) forgets the "don't hammer it" part. I know this is a bit long winded, but I wanted to spell out as much as I could with what I have, what I want, and what I need. If you can't tell by now... I would LOVE to just send $1500 to Florida and have a new drive...but... (ugh). Thanks again mates... please fire away!

Norm
Classic01.jpg
My "new" girl!! $1000 and pretty solid!!

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey, can anyone also tell me if there's a better way to link to this post in my sig? As you can see, I have other links to previous postings over the years, but it seems that the new posts "addresses" are very long and I'm unable to add that many characters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong now, that I did right before??

Norm

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never mind the last posts question... figured it out. Just had too much in my old sig! Didn't really like deleting old project links, but oh well.

Norm

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
1993 Bayliner will - eventually - require some $$$ to keep her going. With that said, I will not spend any money now that I don't absolutely have to spend and nothing I can do about it. You have one upper and two lowers, it is not that hard at all to relocate the working one into the gritty one housing and change the gear ratio over the winter for a fraction of the $1500 specially that you have a friend who does this for living and can - at least - let you borrow the special tools.

Another alternative is to disassemble the lower working one and have a new skeg fabricated and welded on it.

In short, I wouldn't get itchy to spend the $$ now because - for sure - you will need them for later. I don't know if you checked transom, stringers and bulkheads yet or not but even assuming that the boat is structurally sound you still have some toys to spend $$ on. Radar, Navi/fish finder if you are into fishing, transducer (Chirp is fantastic but expensive) search lights, radio, downriggers, crap pots, interior upgrades (TV, head, shower pumps, [FONT=&quot]stereo[/FONT], speakers, and, and and and and and and)

They don't call them BOAT (Bring Over Another Thousand) for no reason. JMHO but it is your boat and your call

Last edited:

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks DeepBlue. Oh, I know how much these things like ca$h!! She SEEMS in solid shape... hammer tapping around the important places yield a solid sound. Of coarse I won't know for sure without further looking into that. That said, I will be talking to by buddies shortly (actually already texted back and forth), to discuss "pros and cons" of each of the options I have (they introduced me to the SEI idea and have used them a lot). They also offered to help rebuild what I have, if that is the avenue I choose. They also mentioned that a "merc" gearset would more than likely cost more than the SEI complete drive! I do know that there is a lot to be said for having a genuine merc. Another caveat... If I do decide to go with the SEI, I'm hesitant to purchase it now. Here on the northeast, winter is fast arriving. It will probably be 6 months until I can test and break-in the new drive. That's 6 months gone from the 3yr warrantee offered by SEI... otherwise, I'm ready to purchase now! Thank you so much for your valued opinions and time!

Norm

thumpar

Admiral
The 5.0l could have come with 1.62:1 or 1.5:1 (or right around there). I know in high altitude they use the 1.62:1 but not sure if there are other situations they used it.

missalot

Seaman Apprentice
We bought a "fixer" with twin merc outdrives. The boat was in salt water and the drives so corroded the lower halves were cracked open. We put on a pair of SEI drives. The drives worked great. Just short of 3 years I sent them back on warranty as they were "rattling" a little bit. SEI went through them, new seals and shipped them back. I only paid for shipping to them. Now we are 4 seasons since and they are still running strong. The boat lives in a marina, saltwater all year long except when it is on the trailer for maintenance. SEI, in my opinion, no reason NOT to try them out.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think I'd be checking the structure (transom, stringers, etc.) on a '93 Bayliner before I spent any money on drives, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think I'd be checking the structure (transom, stringers, etc.) on a '93 Bayliner before I spent any money on drives, etc.

agreed.

also, on your lower that work, however missing the skeg. many weld shops that do skeg repair will do it for about $50

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
thumpar - Yeah... I'm thinking mine is a 1:62:1, which is typical on the 5.0 equipped ones. Thanks.

missalot - I've read quite a few reviews that sound a lot like yours. I'm at the point in my life where $1400 (spent on a boat), while not easy to just "throw away", but worth the risk/education/reward. If I get the sei unit, you will hear about it right here, another success story, or a flop. Thank you for your post.

JASinIL2006 - I've been doing just that all along. My brother and I just replaced the transom (and partial stringers) in his boat. Mine sound and look good. No flex at all, very dry, bilge exceptionally clean (white) and dry. I will certainly be keeping an eye on them... as I do with all of my boats. Thanks for the advice.

Scott Danforth - I've seen that done a lot. Mine is broken so close to the hub, that I'm sure the drive has to come apart to avoid cooking parts. Something that may be happening anyway if my buddy helps me rebuild it. again, he mentioned the price of just the "merc" gearsets. Ugh :facepalm: .

Thanks for some very helpful insight gents. I will be making a decision soon. If I go with the SEI.., I believe I will wait until closer to the beginning of boat season, to maximize the length of the warranty. Until then, I'm still looking on CL and such for a good 1:47:1. Thanks again!

Norm

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Man...I just realized that I put this post in the "non-repair" section! I probably would get more opinions if I posted it to the proper place! Oh well... the opinions I've Gotten here are very informative, and I appreciate them all.

Norm

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have had 2 repaired where there was nothing left of the skeg. the guy did it over lunch in one case. was on the water about 5 minutes after paying him. I have not been concerned about "cooking parts" he used a heat sink putty (either cold shield or hot stop)

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh wow... good info there!! That's great know that THAT is possible!

Norm

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I bought a boat where the shift shaft, after about a half hour of use, would get to stiff to shift without kicking the interrupt into action. Also the upper case was salt water corroded. So I bought an SEI 18 months ago. It has been reasonably close to flawless.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Rick. I will NOT have a problem going with an SEI drive, if it comes to that. Generally happy with most I've read. BUT... as an update... My 3 hunks of "merc" outdrive (an upper and two lowers) are in my truck as of about 20min ago. My buddy (who does this stuff for real), will be tearing all apart and going through it all to see what can be done to bring what I have up to snuff! First thing he will determine is "what gear ratio do I have". Up to now, we've only speculated that I've got a 1:62:1. Who knows... with the 5.7 that is in the boat, maybe the P.O. did the right thing and put a 1:47:1 out back. That would be great! Again, my buddy mentioned that the cost of a set of merc gears would probably cost more than a whole SEI drive. We'll see. Whatever I have, the upper turns and feels good, the lower with the broken skeg turns and shifts good, the lower with the good case turns and shifts, but just doesn't feel as smooth as the other. We will know why soon! Thanks again!

Norm

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
DeepBlue... Don't know if your still "hanging around", but re reading the posts here (to get the most out of them), yours really intrigued me with the mention that I can convert what I have to the proper gear ratio for a fraction of the price (using buddy's services). I would really feel most comfortable with the time tested superior components that the mercruiser drive offer. So if this really can be done for even "slightly more" than a "probably good" SEI unit... I'd like to go that route. As stated... my merc drives are headed to their shop tomorrow. He mentioned exactly what you mentioned. "No problem swapping cases", or rebuilding/re gearing what I have. I believe when he said that a gearset for a merc cost ,ore than the SEI... he was referring to "if the gears were toast, and needed complete replacement" and rebuild. Perhaps a conversion from one ratio to another is far less gears needed, and no likely damage to my other pieces. Here's to hoping!!

Norm

Last edited:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Hey 454, I did not realize that the mods directed you here in the non repair forum. So, is it the shop who will be doing the work or you will?

The labor in these type of jobs is no small change and it will make a big difference.

Last edited:

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Blue... Well... It wasn't really the mods... I was the bonehead that didn't take time to read all the way through, and missed the "non-repair" part. Ugh. Anyway, It will be my buddy's shop. I'm not a mooch, and certainly will pay him. He is in possession of the drives now. He is going to tear down, assess, and give me the options.

thumpar

Admiral
Do you know how the skeg got broken? If it was running and hit something I would be checking the prop shaft to make sure there is not bend in it.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good "heads-up" Thumpar... I will mention that to my buddy who is going through it all now. I have NO idea how it broke off... or even if it was on my boat at the time. Between the two units, hopefully one has a good shaft. Thanks man.

Norm