Spark Plug & Wire Options

tango13

Seaman
Hello all,

Planning to get parts for a spring tune up for a newly acquired boat w/ 77' 350 merc (250hp). I dont have much history on the engine other then it has a new set of points/rotor/cap and new fuel pump... Spark plug wires look to be the original mercruiser factory wires.. Plugs possibly newer.

Anyways I'm planning for a complete ignition tune up:

Pertronix electronic conversion (I know they are controversial but I used them on many applications, including marine, and they are a no-brainer IMO)
Pertronix Flamethrower Coil (1.5ohms)
Spark plugs = whatever I can get, recommendations for quality producrs would be appreciated
Wires = Also looking for recommendations.. Has anyone used performance brand wires for marine? I know they have to be long enough run back and behind they exhaust.. I'm not sure if generic small block chevy kits from MSD or Taylor would be long enough. I feel like "racing" wires are the way to go with boats because they are made stand up in hot environments, and I would prefer to spend a little more on a good product that I can rely on. I have seen the DIY custom reels of wire from MSD where you cut your own wires, but I would rather have a pre-made set since I don't really trust my own wiring skills :lol:

The current wires run between the valve covers and the manifolds through the small gap.. I know this is wrong, and its another reason why I want to replace the current setup.

Any recommendation or input would be great!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... AC Delco, MR43T plugs are what I use in Chevy boat motors,....

As for wires, iboats has sets that'll fit,....

No reason for fancy wires nor plugs,....
The boat environment is much easier on the wires than a car,...

thumpar

Admiral
I converted to Pertronix in my old boat and liked it. Use the AC plugs. For wires you don't need anything special just make sure they are meant for a boat engine so they are long enough.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I have used the Petronix and like it. However, with the price of new Delco complete systems, it would be a better idea to go that route. You can buy a complete system, distributor, wires, coil, wiring harness, etc for $240 here.