remote oil filter on merc 4,3l i/o

jccarter

Recruit
Any pro or con to remote oil filter on my engine. I can't reach the thing not sure how the mechanic does it. 2008 merc i/o 4.3 liter carberated.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Going to put one in my boat. Just trying to find a good quality set up. looking at one sold by Michigan motors with pre made lines and the filter is not upside down.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Only drawback that you could potentially run the engine dry for a short time after changing oil. Not a huge issue, but in cars with remote filters, I like to pull the ignition fuse and spin it over for 10 seconds or so before allowing it to start.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I can't think of any downsides to the idea,....

thumpar

Admiral
I can't think of any cons. Mine has the remote from factory. I like the ones that hang the filter instead of the ones that have the filter up. You can just put a bag under the filter and spin it off to contain the mess.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Pro, Pro, Pro! My 2 previous boats (GM V-8 and V-6's) didn't have remote filters. Current boat does. Night and day difference in ease of changing the filters.

My .02

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pro!!!
Having the remote oil filter will allow you to change the oil more frequently.
My previous boat didn't have one and i'd always dread changing the oil so i didnt take out the boat as often..
Now with the remote oil filter i enjoy doing the oil changes..
Make sure to get a pump as well to pump out the old oil..

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always pre-fill my oil filter so less of an issue.

How would one go about pre-filling the filter when it's the spin-ON kind.. (facing down)?

What i do to prevent oil starvation is flip the kill switch (safety switch) and crank the engine a few times..
Never had a problem with it so far..

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How would one go about pre-filling the filter when it's the spin-ON kind.. (facing down)?
You can't with that type.

I used to do the" crank the engine until the oil pressure comes up" especially with my cars. Now I don't worry about it because its not likely a big deal.

I see you are in so cal. Where about?

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Okay, pre-filling the filter may be desirable, but obviously you can't with a filter that sits upside down.

When I didn't have a remote filter setup, I never pre-filled the filter. Trying to get it down under the engine by feel, sliding it in at odd angles... there would have been oil all over the bilge. When I do an oil change with or without the remote filter, I first run the engine for awhile to thin it, which also coats all the bearing surfaces. I change the oil, change the filter and start the engine again. The engine isn't really ever running 'dry'. The oil that coated the bearing surfaces before the change is still there, and pressure builds up again within a few seconds of restarting the engine.

I don't think it's anything to worry about- just try not to goose the throttle until oil pressure comes up.

My .02

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't think it's anything to worry about- just try not to goose the throttle until oil pressure comes up.
I agree. Only reason I pre-fill is because it's easy. I never pre-fill any of my auto's filters.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I agree. Only reason I pre-fill is because it's easy. I never pre-fill any of my auto's filters.

I used to, but my current car has a remote oil filter that is mounted facing down... I hold the gas all the way down (putting the ECU into 'flooded' mode, so it won't spark or inject fuel), and crank it over for 10 seconds or so. After that, start like normal.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I pre fill the one on the 4.3 in the boat because access is pretty good if I move the battery on that side back. I also do this with my '07 Hemi powered Jeep and my wife's '98 Subaru because the filters are in the correct position to do so. Not on our '98 Jeep 4.0 six because it sticks out from the block. Oil pressure comes up just as fast as on the boat so I guess it's a non issue. Old habits (changing oil on vehicles since 1972).