I/O Board engine/Winter

stingray3

Seaman
Someone told me that I should lower the the engine as far as possible so water wouldn't get in and freeze, so I just raised it like I normally do and covered the lower unit with plastic bags . PS the Boat was winterized. I guess I'm being a little cautious since I'm new to this. Did I do the right thing?Thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member
If it is exposed to weather, there is no guarantee that the plastic bags will do their thing. You are best to lower it so water cannot accumulate and freeze.

I guess my answer would be no.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I do that to mine every year but it is an OMC stringer. If your OD is an OMC Cobra, a Merc or a Volvo, leave the drive in the down position. It allows the bellows boot to rest in a neutral position instead of stressed in the upward position.

stingray3

Seaman
Good grief! I looked out this morning and the Lower unit is resting on the ground, after raising it up and wrapping it with plastic. I guess it's a good thing that it's down but now I'm wondering what made it lower by it's self? I have these plastic things that I always put on the rods for reinforcement, which I didn't put on this time. I guess I'll leave them off. My question is, since it's resting or touching the ground, does that hurt anything? Or should I put something under so it does not touch the ground?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You probably want to determine what is causing your drive to lower like that.

One of the reasons I support my drive while I trailer it.

What drive do you have?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I usually put something under the drive so that it can rest on something other than dirt or pavement and also to keep it at the desired level.

The fact that your drive lowered by itself overnight is either due to:

1) it too was reading this thread :D

Or

2) a problem with the hydraulics.

I had to replace the pump on my boat a few years ago for this very reason. Usually it is either the pump or the cylinders . . . unless there is a leak somewhere.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Manual says lower to ground to keep bellows from going bad (unless its a stringer, then there are no bellows)

your drive lowered to the ground because something is broken (tilt motor on a stringer, bad seal or check valve or line on a mercruiser or volvo)

stingray3

Seaman
Well I went out and told It, if it is reading my threads i'm going to move it to the Desert!!!! I think it may be the seals. So resting on say a piece of wood would be ok?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, resting on a piece of wood would be fine.

thumpar

Admiral
My last boat would lower on its own without the plastic pieces that go on the trim rams. I never bothered to find out why but think it was probably a seal in the rams or could have been a valve in the pump.