Outdrive Up or Down?

t_south91

Seaman
Guys,

Unfortunately the cooler temps have come in my area and I have had to winterize the boat...:facepalm: My questions is now that the boat is winterized, is it better for the outdrive to stay in the full upright/titled position? Or should I lower it all the way down? Seems like lowering it would relieve the pressure, but im not an expert ha.

The boat stays in dry storage on a trailer.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
I store mine in a lowered position where the bellows is in a more neutral position.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
both Mercruiser and Volvo recommend storing down in their manuals. However what do I know...

tpenfield

Staff member
both Mercruiser and Volvo recommend storing down in their manuals. However what do I know...

You know plenty, Scott :thumb:

Both from a bellows and a potential for unexpected water to be left in the outdrive, which could freeze and break the housing, best to have it down.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I store mine in the basement so I can perform the maintenance required: replacing gear oil, greasing u-joints, pressure check, replace impeller (if needed), etc...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Mine's comin' off, 'n goin' in the garage this year,.... needs alittle love,.....