What is this motor?????????

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Always on the hunt for my next boat (or project), I cam across this posting on Craiglist, Pocono Pa.
It's a 1989 Bayliner open bow, "handiman's special", (just my kinda boat)!
Add states it needs a stator, no spark, so at first as it was loading I thought it was a Force O.B.
Well, the pics looks like a outboard, but mounted like a inboard??
No other info, just "no spark needs stator"
I did some searching @ on the web, found nothing.
I know Bayliner like the old AMC, use what ever was laying @ for drives and power plants, but this one??
Any ideas??
Joe

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
00k0k_bz9mS2aVXY9_600x450.jpg

01010_lCvilDizE1X_600x450.jpg

condition: good
length overall (LOA): 19
make / manufacturer: BAYLINER
model name / number: CAPRI BOWRIDER
propulsion type: power

BOAT NEEDS STATOR NO SPARK YOU FIX IT GREAT BOAT NEW STARTER CARBS HANDYMAN SPECIAL BEST CASH OFFER IS THE WINNER CALL TOM

Here is the add..
"L" Dirve?
Hmmmm??
Joe

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a boat anchor, er I mean L-Drive

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was able to do some research about it.
Seems ALL the bad things that you an put in a boat are in this!
It reminds me the the AMC cars of the 70's....................
I will pass, on this!
I'd like to get my wrenches on it though just to see how they did it!
Joe

Bondo

Staff member
It reminds me the the AMC cars of the 70's....................

Nope,..... Much, M u c h MUCH worse than that,....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Agreed, the 70's you could get a 401 powered gremlin. Ugly, simple, fast, reliable. The L-drive is more like a yugo

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
The drive, (and a few others that Bayliner came out with), reminds me of the one part in the 70's movie, "Catch 22"
There is a funeral for a guy who was killed on a bombing mission over Germany.
A guy is in a tree, (I think naked, but that's another story).
This other guy who is BIG in the black market climbs the tree and asked the naked guy to "try this".
He takes it and a few seconds later, spits it out,
"This is chocolate cover cotton."!!
"Yes, it is, I can't get rid of the cotton, so I covered it with chocolate", (or something along those lines).
"Are you insane? No one will eat this"!!
"Well", the black market guys says, "the men will just have to get use to it and eat it"!
Bayliner MUST have had the same guys working in the R&D.
" Well, Bob, the Force engines were a flop, but we have ALL these power heads that we can't sell.
Let's mate them up to this drive my brother in law made that doesn't really work well.
I'm sure it will end up a P.O.S., but, people will just HAVE to buy it, cuz we have lots on the warehouse"!
Joe

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
The bayliner L drive had all the disadvantages of an I/O, combined with all the disadvantages of a 2 stroke force outboard. All rolled into one very tough to work on package. Sounds like a lot of win right there!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The L-drive is but one step below the backyard hack marriage of a Merc 470 to an OMC electric shift Stringer drive,....

Don S photo shopped a photo of such a beast once,... donno where to find it though,....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The L-drive is but one step below the backyard hack marriage of a Merc 470 to an OMC electric shift Stringer drive,....

Don S photo shopped a photo of such a beast once,... donno where to find it though,....

blew beer out my nose on that one.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I remember that - seems like he even had if for an avatar for a little while. :happy:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The bayliner L drive had all the disadvantages of an I/O, combined with all the disadvantages of a 2 stroke force outboard. All rolled into one very tough to work on package. Sounds like a lot of win right there!

With a little work, you'd have a pretty good haul of scrap aluminum though..........