Value of 8.2 Mercruiser MAG

pokerfreak07

Recruit
Hello Everyone!

I am in search of some information relating to the value of the attached engine. I have access to it via auction with a VERY limited bidding pool. Upon initial search, I found that these engines are pretty dang expensive so I thought it may be worth a short term investment to flip it. Thats where I am looking for some help... my gut feeling was if I could get it for under a grand I thought I would be doing pretty good. Wrong?

Can you tell the year or any other pertinent information by these photos?
What is this worth as is with whats pictured? (what I mean by this is a price that I could sell online via craigslist or forum in under 6ish weeks)
Is this anything special, not very sought after, etc?

Supposedly it has never been started, but it has been in storage for an unknown length of time. (obviously I wouldn't depend solely on this-but the pics look good).

Most importantly-thank you VERY much for any and all help in advance!

Attachments

• Engine1.jpg
    Engine1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Engine2.jpg
    Engine2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Engine3.jpg
    Engine3.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 0

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If the engine is sound and that's a big if think 14k at the very least.....lol a 1000 does not even buy gasket's Looks like 10 in parts alone...Hmm i smell something???

fetch

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1

tell you what, let us know where its at and we will buy it and tell you the year.....

45Auto

Commander
Thank you very much for your help. Any chance anyone is able to tell the approximate year?

Oldest it could be is a 2010, the year the 8.2 replaced the 8.1.

Merc brochure is here:

http://www.cmpboats.cz/data/lodni-mo...o/8-2l-mag.pdf

If you can get it for $1,000 there must be a VERY limited bidding pool and no access to the internet.

They normally go for around $15,000 with a 3 year warranty.

Probably be pretty easy to get over $10,000 for it.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
What is this worth as is with whats pictured? (what I mean by this is a price that I could sell online via craigslist or forum in under 6ish weeks)
Please note that sales via the iboats forum is not permitted, and as far as I know there isn't a section of the paid boats for sale ads to list motors.

But if there's a 10X profit markup from a sub $1K purchase to a 10K asking price, it'd seem to be well worth sitting on that motor for a while to get 'just' 5K for it, let alone 10K. Good luck.

How do you know there's a small bidding pool and they won't have done any research to find out it's 'worth' $10-15K?

Hope you're able to buy low and sell high.