Using a Small Space Heater as an Engine Warmer...

Please bare in mind as you read this, I am relativity new to boating and will ask lots of "strange" questions. A thought came to me while preparing to winterize my Rinker 212 Captiva BR, what if I place a small electric space heater (like one used to heat a bedroom) in the engine compartment of my boat and set the thermostat to click on when it gets below a certain temperature, if this would be at all effective as a BACKUP to regular winterization? I know they make engine heater for such an application, but those things are expensive. Would this be close to the same thing? or would this screw something up?
Your thoughts?

thumpar

Admiral
Are you talking about using this all winter? If so what happens when the power goes out?

James D. Evans

Seaman Apprentice
Thumpr has a good point...

I would be more concerned with type of heater... gas fumes and any kind of spark and the result is kaboom. Reason we have blowers, flame arrestors, spark protected starters and alternators... I wouldn't risk it, nor would I rely on it by any means. All it takes is a power outage, tripped breaker, kid unplugging cord...and the result is a new motor.

Bilge heaters are made just for bilge locations with spark protection.

If it is winterized correctly, no need for backup

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'll also add that house current and a wet bilge do not play with each other very well. I've had leaves plug my drain hole and put 5 inches in the bilge. (Zorch!)

Bondo

Staff member
as a BACKUP to regular winterization?

Ayuh,.... Back up,..?? Drain everything, 'n there's No need for any sorta Back up,....

Air,... Don't Freeze,.....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Very few thermostats for this type of application are spark proof... Most have a small mechanical relay, which generates a spark. And as others mentioned, what happens when the power goes out.

I personally have used a 60w incandescent light bulb in the engine compartment to get me through a cold snap. Relatively safe as long as it is secured and not touching anything, and I don't bother cycling it, it stays on all the time. A 60 watt bulb is more than enough to keep the engine compartment warm enough even down to a nighttime low of 20 or so, especially if the boat is covered.

You don't need a backup to proper winterization. Do it right the first time (aka without trying to fill the engine with antifreeze) and don't worry about it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Overall, heaters in boat engine compartments are a bad idea. You can Google some fire pictures of boats that had heaters used in them for winterization.

Best to winterize properly and not have to worry about it.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
The only time I have heard of anyone needing to warm an engine compartment is in southern climates that only see below freezing temps for a couple of hours a couple of nights out of the year. In that case, the heat generated from a simple utility light does the trick. If you are in a cold climate that requires full winterization, do the winterization properly and there will be no need for a backup. A heater in cold climates can only cause harm IMHO.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,.... Back up,..?? Drain everything, 'n there's No need for any sorta Back up,....

Air,... Don't Freeze,.....

+1000 of those.........just drain it and it will sleep fine even in the most brutally cold climate.. (which I live in :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
The only time I have heard of anyone needing to warm an engine compartment is in southern climates that only see below freezing temps for a couple of hours a couple of nights out of the year.

We do it up in here in the frozen north also! This spring in particular I had to run a heater (60w light) a couple of times... We had daytime highs that were in the 80's, and 2 days later the night time lows were mid to low 20's.

All very compelling points. I suppose I'll just put her away right for winter and forget about her. Thanks again!