E10 gas and winter storage

Georooney

Seaman
I've been told that E10 gas separates out after about 90 days storage. Do any 'experts' know how much water E10 gas attracts when it separates?

It's approaching winter again, and time to store the boat (outside). This past season I had problems with water in the fuel (presumably from over-winter storage), and want to avoid that next season. I do add fuel conditioner to the tanks each fall, BTW.

My question is: am I better to top up the tanks, adding fuel conditioner, and hope that the E10 doesn't collect a lot of water over the winter? Or am I better to drain the tanks, and take my chances with condensation? If I left the tanks empty, I would flush them in the spring before filling them; just seems like a lot of work if not necessary.

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Goodie another gas thread :popcorn:

Fill it up, don't fill it up, add stabil don't add stabil, my opinion it will be fine next season

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Oh boy! Here we go again!

Well, some of us just run/drain the tank down to less than 1/4 in AUG and fill it up in MAY or JUN. I have never used anything added to the fuel to mitigate a "problem" because I haven't had one. AND I have used E10 since it's inception.

If you have water in your fuel tank, you need to remove it. (the water)

If storing your boat outside results in water in the tank, it likely due to rain, and/or leaky fuel caps, water sitting on top of the tank and leaking in through the gage sender, or a contaminated fuel supply etc.

You either need to store it inside, cover the boat, check your fuel supply, and/or fix the leaks.

No amount of fuel additives will fix it.....You need to prevent the water from getting in there in the first place....................

Please have a read: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm

Cheers,

Rick

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Here we go again :popcorn:
I add the merc recommended fuel additives for storage to cover the warranty my lawn mower and gas strummed get no treatments neither does my chainsaw

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Goodie another gas thread :popcorn:

Fill it up, don't fill it up, add stabil don't add stabil, my opinion it will be fine next season
Yep. I have done it all the ways listed and never had a problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Where is the popcorn smiley or tge beating a dead horse smiley when on a mobile device.

If you are really worried, empty the tank contents into your cars fuel tank.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've always added stabil and stored it with whatever amount of gas that was in it when the season ended and have not had problems. It's a good idea to check your water separating filter for water when you change it. You can dump the gas out in a mason jar and let it sit. If you see water on the bottom you need to clean out the tank. If not then no worries. I've been checking mine each year and have not seen any...

jkust

Rear Admiral
I add Stabil and don't worry about the level of the gas wherever it ended up at the end of the season. I've read just about every contradictory thing about what level to keep the fuel tank at and it never seems to matter for me and my many seasonal vehicles and boats. The stabil is a sleep easy for me as I've seen one time what old and untreated gas did to my weedwhacker when I was too lazy to buy fresh gas.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've been told that E10 gas separates out after about 90 days storage. Do any 'experts' know how much water E10 gas attracts when it separates?

It's approaching winter again, and time to store the boat (outside). This past season I had problems with water in the fuel (presumably from over-winter storage), and want to avoid that next season. I do add fuel conditioner to the tanks each fall, BTW.

My question is: am I better to top up the tanks, adding fuel conditioner, and hope that the E10 doesn't collect a lot of water over the winter? Or am I better to drain the tanks, and take my chances with condensation? If I left the tanks empty, I would flush them in the spring before filling them; just seems like a lot of work if not necessary.

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
You were told wrong. E10 does not "separate". It will phase separate, but you have to have water in the fuel in the first place.

Seeing that you have had problems in the past, this year do the opposite of what failed in the past. Obviously, you have to eliminate the source of water intrusion.

Portable outboard tank(s)? Built-in Inboard tank?

James D. Evans

Seaman Apprentice
I use an additive every fill up (startron) and add stabil on the last outing. Either fill it up or leave it where its at after the last trip out. Never had a problem.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
As others have mentioned, ethanol will not separate from the fuel simply because it is stored for an extended period. You get phase separation when as little as 4 teaspoons of water per gallon of gas is absorbed. The result is water/ethanol on the bottom of the tank and gasoline with reduced octane on top. Again, once this has occurred, no reasonable amount of any fuel additive will help this situation. You need to drain the tank and start over.

The best storage practice today is to fill the tank about 95% full, add a high quality fuel stabilizer, then run the engine for a few minutes to make sure the whole system is treated. This helps prevent room for condensation to form and helps prevent gum & varnish build up due to being stabilized.

Have a great day!

Georooney

Seaman
Thanks guys, for all the feedback and suggestions. As I only have 5-10 gallons of gas in either tank right now, I think I will just drain the tanks for the winter and start with fresh gas next spring.

The boat will be stored outdoors, sometimes in humid near-freezing conditions, so I may expect some condensation in the tanks over winter. My plan will be to flush the tanks with a couple of gallons of gas before filling them in the spring. I can then run this gas through a water separator and reuse it, maybe in the lawnmower.

If someone knows why this isn't a good idea, I'd be happy to hear from them.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
There's no downside to your plan if it gives you peace of mind.

My boat is stored outside and unused for 6 months a year. I do exactly what Lou C does (post #8)

My .02

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I threw a can of SeaFoam in the SeaRay to work it into the fuel system just before storage. The gas gage read almost empty. when Iput her on the trailer for the last time. The can of Seafoam gives me a warm fuzzy more than anything, I'm sure it would be fine next spring without it. I do try and change my water separator filter on a regular basis.

I never recommend filling the tank up to people that ask me. If you got water in your fuel last season, as others have said, you got a problem with the boat, how you store it, or the last place you filled up has issues..

tpenfield

Staff member
I pumped 37 gallons out of my boat and put it in the cars. Kind of like recovering $100 worth of fuel. :)

Then I went in the house and got some :popcorn: