Twin Screw Prop Rotation

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
First time owning twin screws and need a question answered. I bent my starboard prop on my 1990 regal 360 this weekend. When I bought the boat, it came with a spare prop but I am not sure if it is a starboard or port side prop. How can I tell? Here are some pictures of the spare prop. I know the easy way would be to compare with what is on the boat, but I am trying to save pulling the boat for $100 to find out that the spare is for the port side and not the side that I need.

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/houghtby_photos/library/90 Regal Commodore 360

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Donno which of yer drives turns which way,.....

But that's a Right handed prop,....

mr 88

Commander
Pull the engine cover or inspection plate and see which way the two drive shafts spin. That will tell you if you have two right hands or counter rotating props.Also will tell you which one is which if necessary.You will need a puller as well to pop the prop, that can be done in shallow water.

Last edited:

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pull the engine cover or inspection plate and see which way the two drive shafts spin. That will tell you if you have two right hands or counter rotating props.Also will tell you which one is which if necessary.You will need a puller as well to pop the prop, that can be done in shallow water.

Ugghh, although it appears to be a simple straight forward job, I am not sure doing it in the water would be do-able for me. I went diving several times to pull weeds that were wrapped around the prop shaft. Can't imagine taking nuts off, using a puller and pulling it under water. My luck I would likely loose the key and cotter pin as well .... lol. Might just limp it the rest of the season and pull it when the boat comes out of the water for the winter.

Ned L

Commander
Yep,.. Right hand prop. 'Normal' would have that on the starboard (right) side.