485 merc conflict of interest.

AlphaJustin

Seaman
I can't find a straight answer to the apparently agree old question is the 485 a good engine or not. Some people swear their great others hate them with a passion all I've found is with new risers and an alternator added their fine but that doesn't account for the aluminum block with iron heads having different cooling rates and possibly warping. So as you can see I've done the research but haven't found a clear answer either way. I found a dirt cheap boat but it's powered by twin 485s. I'd rather pay more now though if they are that terrible to avoid them. thanks in advance for any input.

We're talking 3000 less for this boat than similar size and condition boats.

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I can't find a straight answer to the apparently agree old question is the 485 a good engine or not. ....

You're not going to find any kind of agreement on this. Most would say to walk away from this engine. (It goes by different labels). Some who have them swear by them - others swear at them! The main areas of concern seem to be the front cam seal leaking and some being under cooled. You mention the dissimilar metals between the block and head. At the very least it calls for careful attention.

Bondo

Staff member
I found a dirt cheap boat but it's powered by twin 485s. I'd rather pay more now though if they are that terrible to avoid them.

Ayuh,.... Run, don't walk away,.... The 470s are the redheaded bastard stepchild that Mercruiser has totally forgotten,....

Mark mentions some of the ole original problems with the design,....

A more current issue is that many of the replacement parts for the 470s have the very same part number,...... NLA,.....

Yer steal of a deal headache will be even Bigger, as repowerin' the barge will be a Major refit, there ain't any current production In-line motors, other than the 140hp,...
You'd need to widen the distance 'tween the drives, to drop in a V-motor,.....

It's dirt cheap for a reason,.......

AlphaJustin

Seaman
Thank you to both of you guys for clarifying that for me. I just got out of a bad relationship with an OMC cobra and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just imagining it and that it actually does sound like a dirt cheap nightmare I'm sure you guys just saved me a huge headache and a pile of cash.

No prolem with the twin mercruiser 4.3s in the other more expensive option so that's where I'll be putting my money. However I'm sure I'll be asking for advice about that somewhere on this forum in the future as it is a B.O.A.T. See you guys soon! LOL

AlphaJustin

Seaman
Thanks Thumpar I hope so I'm just glad I got to avoid major dissapointment with the 485's

Unfortunately the twin 4.3s are in a 1987 wellcraft Monte Carlo 2800. Which means I need to get it surveyed because apparently they have issues and I'm not spending almost 10k on a dock camp.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Unfortunately the twin 4.3s are in a 1987 wellcraft Monte Carlo 2800. Which means I need to get it surveyed because apparently they have issues.

Most 30-year-old boats have issues.At that age you want a survey regardless of the brand and model.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^ +1

What issues with the motors?

AlphaJustin

Seaman
According to the seller nothing they ran great when winterized 2 years ago and the bellows went bad from storage I'm going to have him run it on muffs for me just to make sure they do run however until I change bellows and gimbals I can't be certain there aren't issues. So not putting the cart before the horse on this one. I just figured that would make for an easy winter project. My last boat left me with little faith in boats haha.

Also ive read 80s Wellcraft had structural issues because of a lack of internal bulk heads or something? The surveyor I called said if there was an issue id see cracks or off color gelcoat, idk all I know is he said it's not worth having him check it it's too old.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
According to the seller nothing they ran great when winterized 2 years ago and the bellows went bad from storage
Understand that the seller will tell you everything you want to hear and withhold anything to get you to take that boat off his hands!

With (2) 3.7 engines, I would run twice as fast [away!!]