Installation of seacock question

Speakrdude

Ensign
On most installations, I've ever seen, There is a square piece of plywood sandwiched between the seacock and the hull. It only serves as to create a larger flat surface to aid in the base of the valve.
My question is, can I use a piece of starboard material, instead of plywood? The stiffness will be there, however, it will not glue down to the hull, if that matters. From what I can tell, the sealant, is only under the boat anyhow.
Thoughts?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Don't use Starboard. Gluing to the hull MATTERS. I installed a seacock and mushroom when I put air conditioning in my boat this Spring. I googled the procedure to find the right way to do it.

The 'square piece of wood' is there primarily to provide enough hull thickness for the seacock to screw down onto the mushroom fitting. I painted the wood with 2 coats of epoxy, then applied a very thick coating to the bottom of the piece before I pressed it down. West Systems 'Six 10' works well, and there's a mixing tip available for the tube. Great stuff. The wood was scrubbed with acetone before I painted it (and between coats), and the inside of the hull was scrubbed with acetone before I put the wood down. Let every coat of epoxy resin dry 24 hours before applying the next, and the let the pad dry for 24 hours after you press it down. After I cut the circle through the hull and the wood, I cleaned the hole with acetone and lined the hole with more epoxy (and let it dry 24 hours) before installing the seacock and mushroom with plenty of sealant.

You're putting a big hole right through the bottom of your boat. It isn't a good place to cut corners or 'think' you know how to do it. Research it or ask a pro.

My .02

Last edited: