Should I spring for FWC?

littlebuzz

Cadet
My engine is screwed but I love my boat. So I decided to get a new 3.0L dropped in since the exhaust manifold and risers look pretty beat also. The majority of my playground is brackish to salt.
The question is... should I spring for a closed freshwater cooling system?
I'm certainly not made of money, but I trying to think ahead for the long run.

alldodge

Staff member
My engine is screwed but I love my boat. So I decided to get a new 3.0L dropped in since the exhaust manifold and risers look pretty beat also. The majority of my playground is brackish to salt.

IMO depends on how much you use it and if it stays in the water. Look at the amount of hours that's on the boat now. Figure how many hours you put on it in a year. Will you use it enough to offset the cost?

Pros
Engine temp can run in the 180 degree range and with that run more efficient.
Winterization will be a bit easier.
Exhaust elbows will be the only need to change over time unless something happens

Cons
Cost more
More space used for components, may be a maintenance issue if space is tight
A slight bit more weight

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Brackish to salt, if you plan on keeping this boat a long time I would for sure add it. It does add a bit of cost and complexity but the engine will last longer, it's easier to winterize and will be easier to sell in a brackish/salt region.

littlebuzz

Cadet
Thanks for the input.
I trailer the boat so its out of the water at the end of the day. My season is a little over 6 moths long and I'm out on the water about 6 days each month.
Cons
Cost more
More space used for components, may be a maintenance issue if space is tight
A slight bit more weight
Size may be in issue.
With that in mind, it might be best to wait until the new motor is installed. Since its an add-on anyway, I can always get that done over the winter.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
I've been looking into that conversion as well and I am going to change my boat over to a closed cooling system before it ever sees salt water for the first time....
even if my boat is a '79 I figure it's still worth it.
I'll also be spending on zinc as well but I'm thinking it will be a worth while investment.
I was told by several marine mechanics that even if you flush real good after every outing, the majority of the damage from the salt happens while you're out there using it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
decided to get a new 3.0L dropped in since the exhaust manifold and risers look pretty beat also. The majority of my playground is brackish to salt.
If it's a "new" engine, new manifolds, I would install full closed cooling. in 2006, I did it on my 1997 454 with only 120 (fresh-water) hrs since new. I would not go back to open cooling now. My next boat will either have closed cooling or I'll install it.

littlebuzz

Cadet
Well unless someone can point me in a different direction, the best I can do is a Half System.
Seems no one makes a full system for the Mercruiser 3.0.

I've found Half System kits for under $700. Looks like a pretty simple bolt-on installation. According to this page a 2-3 hour job.