5.7 260 tune up?

boatman37

Lieutenant
so where do you get your parts? i will be doing a tune up on my 1986 5.7 260 (A593759. it may be A583759). what all do i need besides cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter? PCV valve? water separator? i found the recommended plug # in my manual but no other part numbers. is there a catalog to look these up? any special plug wires for marine applications? or just auto plug wires? i have never had my cap off. are their points in these? or electronic?

sorry to sound dumb. i know about tuning up cars but a total noobie to the boats...lol

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
The cap should be a marine grade with brass terminals. For the plugs, just cross what was in there. I prefer higher quality parts, less chance of a breakdown.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Thanks Crispy. i stick with quality stuff too. i learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. any special wires? for cars i use spiral core for radio interference. is that necessary on a boat (i do have a radio...lol). are their marine grade wires that i should look for?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
No air filter and no pcv valve. If you have a water separating fuel filter replace the cartridge. You can get everything you need right here on IBoats. They provide this great forum -- support them.

boatman37

Lieutenant
good idea silver. funny thing...until a couple weeks ago i thought iboats was just a forum. had no idea they sold stuff too:facepalm:

Bondo

Staff member
No air filter and no pcv valve. If you have a water separating fuel filter replace the cartridge. You can get everything you need right here on IBoats. They provide this great forum -- support them.

Ayuh,..... Great advice,.....

Somebody's gotta pay the rent,..... ;)

There's parts links at the top of every page, 'n in my new signature,.....

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have a water separating fuel filter replace the cartridge.

DO NOT use the Napa equivalent water separator! I chased down a fuel issue when I first bought my boat, fuel system creating a vacuum at full throttle. Turned out to be the Napa water seperator. Installed a Sierra no problems ever since.