Perfect Pass on 3.0l

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
Before I get the buy a different boat, if your worried about the pull...trade boats, etc. replies....those are certainly viable options. I still want to run through the intellectual exercise of it being feasible.

Using a paddle wheel or StarGazer system (something other than rpm's), has anyone installed PP on a 3.0l?

It's a 99 SeaRay BR180, running a 4 blade, 19p prop. It will pull me on a wakeboard just fine, but takes a very experienced driver to keep it at a steady speed of 20mph.

Thanks in advance!

thumpar

Admiral
I would train the driver before spending that kind of money on it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I'm guessing the speed variation is due to the skier/boarder moving around and varying the load on the engine. Simplest answer is to drop a size or 2 in the prop. It's like dropping a gear in a car, increases the torque available at the 'back wheel' and decreases the variation in rpm (hence speed) on load up.

Fun Times

Staff member
From Perfect Passes website, [h=3]PerfectPass is not compatible on the following applications:[/h] -OMC Cobra Stern Drives
-Outboard Motors
-Mercruiser / Volvo 3.0 Litre 4 cylinder engines (Available on 4.3L & larger)
-New Mercruiser engines with DTS Technology
-New PCM, Indmar and Ilmor Engines

http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=applications

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
The driver is my wife....been trying to train the driver for almost 20 years. Little to no success thus far.

Original prop was a 3 blade 23p....dropped to 4 blade, 19p...huge improvement! Boat will hold plane at 14 mph (give or take) according to speedo.

Not compatible is business lingo generally means their isn't a profitable market for it...doesn't always mean it won't work. I'm just interested in the intellectual exercise of what would it take to make it work? More than likely, I will end up selling my boat and upgrading, just isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks!

thumpar

Admiral
Even if you could get it to work you would be dumping over $1,000 into a boat you will probably sell. You will never see that money in return when you sell it. Sell the boat and use the extra money to buy one with a bigger engine.

achris

The driver is my wife....been trying to train the driver for almost 20 years. Little to no success thus far.

Original prop was a 3 blade 23p....dropped to 4 blade, 19p...huge improvement! Boat will hold plane at 14 mph (give or take) according to speedo.

Not compatible is business lingo generally means their isn't a profitable market for it...doesn't always mean it won't work. I'm just interested in the intellectual exercise of what would it take to make it work? More than likely, I will end up selling my boat and upgrading, just isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks!

What WOT revs are you pulling with the 19"?

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
According to factory tach and speedo...4700 rpm and 40-41mph unloaded. Two adults, two kids, full fuels and gear, 4600 rpm and 36 mph. Original prop (23p) was over 45mph at 4400rpm.

Also added aftermarket swim platform, roughly 200 pounds hanging 24" off the stern. Went through three props with prop doc, to get it where it's at now. Local lake is 6000 acre man made lake...40 mph is plenty fast.

achris

I rarely believe dash tachos. Get a 'shop tach' on it. That said, 4700 is still in the max revs spec (4400-4800), and you could easily drop another 2" for pulling tubes/boards/skiers... That would push your max revs to about 5100, but as you're looking for 'driveability' in the mid-range, not top speed, that would be fine. You'll find that holding a constant speed with a varying load much much easier with the engine running faster. Just so you know, my engine will run 50mph with a 19" prop to 4600rpm (right bang in the middle of my range), but I run a 17" (takes the max revs into the rev limiter, 5100rpm) for the reasons above. The boat is so much nicer to drive, and holds its speed up and down swells a lot better (we have BIG swells here. 10' is not unusual)....

Chris........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have never had any issues in a 3.0 holding speed for watersports. Neither has anyone that I had drive. Would always put on the 17p prop for watersports. The 19 was a bit tall for the motor.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just installed perfect pass on my 5.0 and absolutely love it...the 1200$ is quite a chunk but if I sell my boat and buy a different one it , I can easily take it off this one and reinstall it on the new one , so i look at it as an investment that I can use for years not just one boat...my wife absolutely loves it and I get so much more quality time wakeboarding now... I don't know if you could get it to work on a 3.0 or not but if you could you'll never regret it, and if u end up buying a bigger boat just get a throttle for that one and you're good to go.