impromtu lower unit stand

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
As I was sitting at the picnic table trying to figure out how I was going to mate my lower & upper drives back together by myself with no type of stand it dawned on me that I could use the table. So I set the lower up on the picnic table with the skeg slid down in the gap between the 2x6's on the table top with the prop just off the end enough to let it turn. Then I clamped a set of vice grips on the front & rear edge of the skeg & positioned them tight up against the table top to keep the lower from rocking. Then I was able to put the upper gear housing on the lower by myself with no trouble at all. It went on like butter. And it was very comfortable to sit at the table & work on it. So next time you're trying to put your drives back together without the proper stand don't overlook your picnic table as the perfect workbench/stand. Of course don't forget to put some plastic or something down to keep any nasty smelling gear oil off of the table top. Good luck & be safe. Jim.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, whatever it takes sometimes. When you're working on most anything, you have to be inventive so many times to get things to work. :thumb:

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Yes that's so true. I've been called cheap, but I prefer resourceful.