trim switch

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
On this 76 merc 140 3.0 w/ #1 drive, there is a light blue & a purple wire going to the trim switch in the gimbal housing, are these wires just to operate the dash mounted trim gauge or do they have to do with the actual operation of the trim motor?

thumpar

Admiral
If they are to the trim switch it is for operation. The gauge runs off of a trim sensor on the gimble.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I believe the blue and purple pair connect the switch that provides a maximum tilt position to the normal trim. I'll try to attach a PDF of a manual with diagrams that may help. - Grandad

Attachments

• Mercruiser Power Trim Manual.pdf
    443.4 KB · Views: 1

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
If they are to the trim switch it is for operation. The gauge runs off of a trim sensor on the gimble.

That's what I'm talking about, the sensor in the gimbal. Not the switch on the dash that operates the trim motor.

Thanks grandad, I'll check that pdf out.

That's what I needed to know. The limit switch is the one I'm referring to & the wires are bare & corroded. If they just operated the gauge thru a ground circuit, I wasn't going to mess with it just yet but voltage goes thru that limit switch/sensor in the gimbal & then to the motor so I'll need to fix that before running the boat. That limit switch prevents the trim operation from raising the outdrive too high (keeps it out of the "tilt" range) when you're running the boat (the u-joints in the drive shaft appreciate that switch, ha) When tilting all the way up for trailering, the current is bypassed around that switch by pressing the two up buttons & raises the drive all the way up. Thanks grandad, that is a very informative pdf file.

Last edited: