gains from a 1.8 rocker?

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a bad rocker on my 454 so I am going to order a new set. The current set is the stock 1.7 ratio. I see 1.8 ratio rockers available. What sort of gains can I expect to see with 1.8's.

I am assuming I have a stock cam.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before going off on a tangent, make certain your valve springs can handle the increased squash and not bind. Also the increase spring pressures that will occur and the push rod openings as well. Because if you're at the limits presently, there could be catastrophe circumstances... JMHO!

boatman37

Lieutenant
also need to be sure you have piston clearance. if your camshaft has a .500 lift then you will be opening the valve .05 further

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a bad rocker on my 454 so I am going to order a new set. The current set is the stock 1.7 ratio. I see 1.8 ratio rockers available. What sort of gains can I expect to see with 1.8's.

I am assuming I have a stock cam.

Howdy,

Good discussion on that stuff here : http://www.aa1car.com/library/performance_valvetrain.htm

Don't think it's much of a gain for a slow turning marine engine though..... (unless you put a supercharger on it.....then you want the highest lift you can get!)