90 mercury low compression top cylinder

kevster954

Recruit
I have a 1990 90hp mercury i recently aquired it, i did a tune up on it (water pump, thermostat, popit valve, clean carbs, chnaged lower unit oil.) i check compression before i purchased it and it was 119, 125, 125. Where the top cylinder wasnt to far off i wasnt to concerened. Took it out sunday for its first trip it ran rough at lower rpms and then better at wot. I didnt run it long so headed back to the dock it died and wouldnt crank. Pulled top plug and cranked it and didnt have enough conpression to blow my finger off. So top cylinder is dead. So the lower compression on the top cylinder was a bigger issue than i expected. Now im planning on doing a rebuild. Im on a budget and wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for finding the best price on a rebuild kit or if its cheaper to buy the parts individually. Im pretty savy and have rebuilt a few snowmobiles and motorcycles. I dont think this should to difficult with the proper service manual. Also im wondering if for some reason the top cylinder wasnt getting as much oil from the oil injection.