3-cylinder with Rod Through Case

JDusza

Ensign
I am being asked to help rebuild a 3-cyl, 80 hp, oil injected engine that put a connecting rod through the case. I do not yet have the serial number, so, I don't know year. I will get that soon.
Here's what puzzles me: I can't really see rebuilding and re-using some of the parts from the failed engine. If this was lost to an overheat condition, I would expect the crankshaft to have changed its heat-treat characteristics locally. I would expect the crank to have lost its strength locally and become brittle. And then, there's the question of the other components; piston (and rings), are they cracked?; bearings, what is the integrity of the remaining cylinders, etc... Perhaps you'd get a year or maybe two out of it before it fails with an over-stressed component. I would be more inclined to replace the entire power head. Of course, we still haven't discussed the reason for the original over-heat...sigh...
Any advice? Thanks.
J

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You will never get the engine that hot to change the metallurgy of crank as they weld the up and grind them down on a rebuilt crank. You will need to replace the pistons as the ring locating pins will likely be loosed. If the rods are blued replace them also along with all bearings.