1997 mercury 40 hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have Mer 40hp 4 cylinder run hot at startup, water peeps okay,seems to be high idle also.please help

Dekker500

Seaman
What do you call hot at startup? Is the tell-tale water too hot to touch? Can you place your hand on the engine or is it too hot? If you have an infrared thermometer, you could get an actual reading.

The idling high is a matter of adjusting the idle limiter screw and/or cable adjustment. I wouldn't adjust, though, without an actual tachometer. Once you set the idle to the desired RPM, you'll need to adjust the idle mixture to match for smooth idling.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have dropped lower unit changed gasket, silver plate and impeller, I got the idle to the normal, but at idle the water comes out from pee hole is very warm still, near hot, I took it to lake and try to start it up and idle it, the water come out still so warm, any other suggestions, will be appreciated,

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to add something, the water comes out from pee hole, there is some delay to come out, sometimes I have to jerk it in gear to get the water come out from pee hole. Thank you.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I started it up while at idle I sprayed Seaford into it and had runs for 45 minutes seems to cool down the block. the water just warm. Is there something wrong in the block or cylinder?
Anything advice will be appreciated

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone knows where the idle mixture on this motor located. Thank you

Dekker500

Seaman
It is number 19 in the picture below.
38064_x2.gif