1984 Mercury 115 6 Cyl --- Checking with DVA Meter

weebo134

Recruit
[FONT=&quot]Ok, so I launched my boat the other day after rebuilding carbs and fuel pump. Fired right up and blasted across the lake, actually ran better than ever before. However, I got to the marina across the lake to fill up my 2 tanks with fuel, motored right up to the dock no problem, idled great, started up to head out and idled about 5 minutes through the no wake, no problem.... here comes the problem, I started pushing the throttle up to head back across the lake... As soon as it got up on plain, it started bogging down and fell flat on its nose. I pulled back to neutral and it purred just fine, bumped the throttle only a couple of times then went back into gear and again, as soon as it went up on plain, it fell on its nose again.. I tried running low speed and after a couple of minutes it would do the same thing.

I pulled all the plugs from the carbs, dumped the fuel filter, drained the pump thinking maybe a picked up a slug of water. I found nothing and it still has the same problem. I have received some info that it could be a dead high side on the stator or a control box. I have purchased a DVA Meter to start testing those items but need to know what numbers I?m looking for from which wire on which component. Any info will be greatly appreciated. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Glen[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Maryville TN[/FONT]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: weebo134 to iboats...

Before getting too involved, you can test the spark at each cylinder to determine if it is a weak spark or not. Buy a spark tester at a local auto parts store and see if you spark can jump a 7/16" gap. If so then your spark is good and I'd look at the carbs again... If your spark does show a problem, then use your DVA or swap around plug coils to see if things change with the swap... And lastly, I would certain buy a factory model, HP, manufacture specific shop manual for your engine and it will have everything you ever wanted to know about your engine in there. That is the gospel for your engine... JMHO!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What kind of gas did you get at the marina. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Doubt you would be running as you did and all of a sudden come up with a serious electrical problem. If the running and stopping would have caused something to overheat, you should have realized that in the no wake zone, but being a tower, maybe not.