1987 115 I-6 about had it with this boat anchor!

Hello I have a 1987 6 cylinder 115 its hard starting I found a bad float the bottom water jacket was filled with sand I cleaned all that out and installed a new impeller the bad float was replaced along with a split front crank breather hose I need to know the corect starting method for this boat anchor and float height thanks for any help by the way the compression is 118 to 120 lbs on the engine.I'm about at my wits end the local mechanics are giving me the run around she seems to take 15 to 20 minutes before it will open up after warm it idles great then and you just have to touch the key to start that's what's so irritating sorry for this long winded thread.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: WIsc87-115-guy to iboats...

So you are having some issue with the inline 6 Merc. I actually had one of those inline sixes and mine ran like a scalded ape. I see you have 118 to 120 compression in all cylinders and you did find a bad float on the lower carb. So did you rebuild all the carbs or just replace that one float? My first suggestion is to buy carb kits and go thoroughly through all the carbs with carb cleaner spay and install carb kits in each after total disassembling them and cleaning them. Next seems you cleaned out the buildup of sand in the lower section of the engine as well. Buy a spark plug tester at the local auto parts store and test each spark coil for proper spark jump of 7/16" to verify you have good spark. Then try everything again and see what happens. I honestly believe your carbs need cleaning and rebuilt and you could even have weak spark... Let us know...

Thanks the top carb float had the partially filled with gas I replaced that I had it out today still runs same issues will replace needles and seats it has those viton tipped one in it don't know height adjust for those its just a ***** to start who designed a 6cylinder with 3 carbs! I won't be buying a round for him soon lol.

Fisher1977

Cadet
Here are some pictures of the carb float adjustments for your year model, and horsepower out of my Seloc manual. You can click the image to make it larger. Hope they help you out. The Seloc manual number is 1408. You can get one off of the net for about 25 or 30 bucks.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Here are some pictures of the carb float adjustments for your year model, and horsepower out of my Seloc manual. You can click the image to make it larger. Hope they help you out. The Seloc manual number is 1408. You can get one off of the net for about 25 or 30 bucks.

You can get one right here. Go to the top of the page and look under Boat Parts and Accessories. When the question box appears type in Seloc Manual. You can either rent time on line which is the quickest....instant manual after a credit card payment, or they'll ship you a hard copy. It pays the rent.

mr 88

Commander
After you get the carb straightend out I would check your primer bulb to see if its holding pressure. I put a 3/8 one way check valve in the fuel line right next to the bulb.These inlines like to be overprimed when first started. After you think its primed give it a few more squeezes and it should fire right up. With the wrap off you may see fuel running out of the carb when doing this,works like a charm.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Actually the 3 carb, inline six motors were very good in design and had great success in the marketplace. Make sure you get the carbs well-cleaned and the timing is on. A service manual is a very good investment. A lot of OB mechanics will not work on older motors, or worse yet, will not know the quirks of the older motors.

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to get a manual plugs carb kits etc and give her another go this weekend I didn't know there was a drop adjust on the needle and seatI hope to find smoeone to check the timing is there 3 different adjusts for that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There is a sticky on link and synch for inline sixes by Clams Canino. it is very informative....

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
My inline i had problems starting it but i found out i didn't know how to start it. You have to prime it good like the other user stated. I prime mines till i see a little gas drip. Once i see that, she fire right up first or second turn without choke and advancing the throttle.

Thanks demarko I'm going to get my buddies compression tester and check it warm also how can you check spark by yourself had it out again still the same flooded it got it started took 15 to 20 minutes then cleared out have to get timing checked with carb synch I'll keep plugging away before you know it there will be ice on the lakes!!!