1984 Mercury Black Max 150 hose

In the front of engine near the hydraulic cylinder for the trim there is a black hose coming out of the engine about a foot down from the bottom of the cowling and it has been cut. I am wanting to know what this hose is for. It has been repaired with a fitting but cut now below that fitting. See attached photos. I have a manual but it doesn't show this part of the engine. where does this tube attach to on the engine and it looks like it goes into the hydraulic cylinder but not sure where it attaches. Please Help? IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Okay I think this tube is the speedometer tube. but I can not find where it attaches unless I have to take the lower unit off to get at the speedometer sending unit. I don't see any type of hose fitting on the outside of the lower unit. Oh woe is me. I am about to just give up and let who ever buys my boat, trailer and motor fix the darn thing. Unless it is an easy fix. Like I said I can't find the other end of the tube and were it might be located to re-attach them or replace the tubing

Last edited:

indyboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does that boat have a water pressure gauge on the dash? I have a similar hose coming out of my 90 HP Merc and it supplies water to an in dash pressure gauge. It hooks up to a small nipple towards the top of the engine head. Usually speedometers consist of a plastic finger that hangs slightly below the transom and sends pressurized water through a tube up to the speedometer.

Dukedog

Captain
speedo tube.. normally goes up thru tha swivel pin (steering arm) and not seen very well... gets moved to tha "outside" when gear case gets pulled by driveway mechanics usually... it attaches to a "bib" on tha gear case by tha shift shaft.. if you do not have a speedo tube commin from tha boat to connect to it just put a screew in it or what ever to block it off.. there is a small hole in tha leading edge of tha gear case that supply's tha water to it.....not a very good design.. little hole will get clogged very easily......

indyboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

This is where it attaches on a 2003 90 HP Mercury.

Attachments

• photo225854.jpg
    photo225854.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo225855.jpg
    photo225855.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1