Please help with 1973 Mercury 9.8 110

Just like the title says I would Please like some help with my 1973 Mercury 9.8 110 thunderbolt ignition I recently picked up.

First off the motor has been sitting since 2000
Next I put in new plugs. Gave it some fresh gas (50:1) and gave it a try starting
Short story is it started. Here comes the trouble. It sorta runs. It wouldn't idle without stalling. When it did run good it was shooting gas out of the carb. (At this point the motor did every. Shifted into gear and what not) Just couldnt get it to stay running on its own.
I figured just a dirty carb. Stuck float or what not
So here comes the confusing part. I took the carb off took it all apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. Put it back together and On like the 5th pull it started and ran for about 7 seconds then died. Now the motor wont even start again (yes I put everything back correctly).

Can someone please point me in what direction to go next? I didnt pay much for the motor but I dont want to spend more in parts then what the motor is worth.

Below is the link to my carb
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M... ASSEMBLY (SERIAL #3482753 AND UP)/parts.html

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
look at the wires coming from the stator I think you have a phasemaker ignition the wires on these like to disintegrate

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a phasemaker...I have a 73 110 and had to replace most of the ign...all the wiring,charge coils,module...points looked new. That was the last year for PM on the 9.8. I got the wire and other parts from CDI in AL...they rebuilt the module that resides in the stator. It runs and I've had it out on the river twice.

I replaced the impeller and went through the carburetor. It does not shoot gas out while the engine is running. If you can do the work,it might be worth it

Despite the problems,the PM engines run well/fast if all is working correctly.

The '73 110s started with 348XXXX according to what I've seen from two sources.

Last edited:
I am actually not 100% sure on the year. I am getting spark (grounded the plugs to the motor) Like I said it started and everything but was just dumping fuel out of the carb then when I cleaned everything with carb cleaner I cant even get it going again besides the 7 seconds

Here are some pictures of it and the serial number