Mercury 1150 115 hp idles but won't engage.

Russ Lively

Cadet
Just bought a used boat. The owner said it ran great the last time he used it. It starts fine. It only idles. No forward or reverse thrust. Where do I start looking for the problem? I suspect it is an easy fix but don't know where to start. Advise would be so welcome.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Are you saying the motor goes into gear, but doesn't rev or it doesn't go into gear?

Can you use the warm up lever to increase revs?

GA_Boater

Take the covers off the motor and see if the shift arm is moving when moving the throttle/shift control. The cable end should be moving fore and aft at the motor end.

GA_Boater

Got the serial number of the motor handy? Might be able to find diagrams to help.

Russ Lively

Cadet
It does move only an inch or so as I reach the end of pushing the lever. rpms never increase. Only the Idle arm increases or decreases rpms. Serial #4702074. Thank you for the input.

GA_Boater

Try this - put the control in neutral and make sure the prop turns easily in both directions. Move the control to FWD and the prop will lock in one direction and click in the other. And then shift to reverse and the prop is locked in both directions.

Motor off for all of this or the NY Giants will cut you from the team. :eek: I know - Bad joke.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the prop only turns CW, that should be forward. The boat should always be moving forward. If that is what you have, it is a simple fix to make to get neutral and reverse. Post back to confirm that is the issue.

Russ Lively

Cadet
That is correct. I took it out last week. I idled around the lake for about three hours. only the idle arm seemed to do anything.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Were you able to go faster than idle when you were on the lake?

Take a look at the shift and throttle cables at the motor. Move the throttle arm from neutral to forward. The bottom cable only, should move forward. Now push the throttle forward. The top cable should start to move the linkage forward. Is that what you see?

Russ Lively

Cadet
no only idle on the lake. Seeing is a little challenging. I am in the front. The motor is in the back. I will let you know.