2002 Mercury 125 Saltwater Oil leak

2LittleFish

Cadet
Hello All, new to boating and the forum. I recently purchased a bayliner trophy 2002 year 2002 and it came with a 125 Mercury Salwater 125EXLPTO and I can't figure what this leak is or coming from. I have the service manual but cannot find it anywhere that talks about it. I've wiped off the oil and a day later I see it again. Wipe it off again and it shows up again. Any help is appreciated. Boat is also out of commission due to wet transom. I've posted that issue at bayliner owners club forum under the same user name. Thanks. 2littlefish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
How about a picture. 125 hp, electric start, long or extra long shaft (20 or 25" probably 25 being a salt water series) Power trim and tilt. That equates to a 2 stroker that burns oil with the fuel. Oilish residue will emanate from the exhaust and exhaust relief ports and drain holes for the mid section as a normal function. Only way to stop it is to quit running your engine.

Only other source would be the gearbox in the lower unit that should have been serviced at some time in the engine's life. Did you or do you know if the PO did or had it done. Again, a picture of the leak will help direct this answer from normal operation to gearbox leaking.....a potentially serious problem.

2LittleFish

Cadet
Hi TexasMark, the picture is attached but here it is again. Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You're good to go. That's just combustion oil remnants that accumulate in the mid section since the exhaust goes through the mid section and it's dripping out the weep/mid section water drain hole. Cooling water drains through the mid section also to have a way out of the engine and to cool the midsection since exhaust gasses (hot) pass through there too.

You might change to Pennzoil semi-synthetic TC-W3 which Walmart carries in the sporting goods dept at a reasonable price. It's a clean burning oil with little smoke and residue. Also might run some Sea Foam conditioner along with your regular fuel/fuel mix. WM has that in the auto section. Directions on the bottle. 2 stroke marine engines love it....at least mine did and others on this forum who introduced me to it back in '04.

2LittleFish

Cadet
Thank you TexasMark! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and your advice. This is great.