1994 Mercury 40hp 4 cyl wrong crank case sealant

paulywally

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to figure out my problem on a 1994 Mercury 40 hp 4 cylinder. I replaced a piston and got all the cylinders honed by a reputable machine shop. I put it back together and used "loc-tite high flex form in place gasket maker" http://www.henkelna.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797881860097

So it ran great for about 5 minutes on the muffs. Checked compression and had an even 130 psi across all 4. Took it out on a little fishing excursion and after 5 minutes under load it died. Took it home checked compression and compression was between 80 and 100 psi uneven across cylinders.

Now I know this sealant is an anaerobic sealant which means it won't unless there is an absence of oxygen. I do have uncured sealant on the outside of the cases and I did allow sufficient drying time.

So compression is low, at first I thought it was a fuel problem but I took the carbs apart and they are working properly. spark plugs aren't wet, and have spark.

So will a failed crank case seal cause low compression? I'm having trouble remembering my two stroke theory properly to figure it out myself.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks.
Paul

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Volunteers provide you with answers but you have to show some patience on here.-----No the wrong sealant has nothing to do with compression in the cylinder.-----The wrong sealant can however have too much filler in it.----The joint on the case is a metal to metal fit and the correct filler will almost all squeeze out.----That is needed to get proper clamp-up of bearings and reed valve assemblies.----And did you correct the problem that caused the failure of the piston ? ----Did you replace the waterpump impeller ?---Running with 50:1 oil mix ?

paulywally

Seaman Apprentice
Ya I know I'm being impatient. This thing is just frustrating me. Yes I fixed the problem that caused the failed piston. Yes I was running a 50:1 mixture, and yes I redid the water pump impeller.

Tonight I'm going to try a different compression tester and if that doesn't work I'm going to pull the power head.