Converting Tiller to Remote

Ol Red

Recruit
I've looked all over this forum and have yet to find my exact circumstance. I am in the process of buying a 1994 Mercury 40hp with a tiller handle. My boat is already set up for remote steering and throttle for a Mercury engine. I'm wanting to know what all I would need to just make the engine capable of using the remote throttle and steering.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: Ol Red. Great having you aboard...

WOW that is a little hard to determine. Do you know if your engine can be converted? What I mean is, did your engine and year model offer both a tiller setup and remote? Because if it did, then you can buy all the needed parts to do that change over. If it wasn't build to accommodate both options, it could get a little iffy. However, that surely doesn't mean you can make the items to swap it over. The electronics portion is not that big of an issue. The mechanical controls could be a different animal though. So I would suggest you type in your engine model number and search the net to see what was offered. I just looked and it seems Mercury made at least 17 different models of your engine in '94. So the odds are pretty good you can buy the needed parts. Here is a place to look; www dot boats dot net / parts / search / Merc / Mercury / 1994 / parts dot html That will show you the different models. Look through them and see... JMHO!