2005 25HP Mercury ELH - Prop questions - Ordered mini jack plate

silver49009

Recruit
Good morning all. I recently purchased a really nice 14' aluminum boat that the previous own spent a ton of time building a frame, platform, doing all the carpet work and wiring all up with switches. I found a smoking deal on the motor above but it's a Long shaft. So from all of my research figured the best way to keep the motor and allow it to work correctly on my boat I purchased a mini jack plate - last night. It will be here within the week. This should allow me around 4" to raise the motor. Crossing fingers this will put me around the same height as a short shaft (or at least close enough to operate effectively). Everything tested out great on motor except there is a chip on edge of one of the prop blades about the diameter of a ball point pen cap. From what I've read even a chip this small can cause some real performance issues. I've gone on different sites looking at props (aluminum - based on my budget) but I'm honestly overwhelmed by the pitch and diameter choices. I'm not looking for top end speed, or a drag race off the line. I just want all around performance to run the motor at proper RPM's and get most life from motor. Is there an OEM stock spec for a replacement prop?

Should I get the mini jack plate first, mount motor, and take motor out as is and see how it runs before spending money on a new prop? I don't like running equipment that shows damage and this chip, in my opinion, is too large to live with. But maybe I'm wrong. Any help or ideas from those with experience in this area would be great. Thanks for those who took the time to read this. I bought this boat to spend quality time with my son. I think we are close to hitting the water now. I just want to make sure this motor is good to go.

-Joe