Merc XR6 150 problem

At the end of last year, last trip out, the engine was hard to start. Cranked real good, but would not fire right away, took a while and a lot of cranking. Over the winter I changed the fuel line, filter, cleaned the plugs. On the way to the lake, I put in 15 gals of fresh gas, with the old 5 gals. Again it took a while to start. Once going it ran great and idled great up to 3k rpms. Once I gave it the throttle and hit around 4k rpms, it would slow down, like it was running out of gas. I have a kicker T8 running off the same tank/gas and it fires right up and runs great. Every time I put gas in I either add Stabil of Seafoam. Warm it starts up fine, and runs good up to 3k. I am thinking maybe the fuel pump is going bad. Any ideas, am I on the right track, should I look else where? Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, you are probably on the right track. If you can pump the primer bulb, and the issue goes away, it is very likely a fuel delivery issue. Check the fuel tank vent, and look for air leaks in the fuel line. If pumping the primer doesn't fix it, take a compression and spark test and post back.

Thanks. I think I found my problem. I think is was something as simple as a loose hose clamp on the fuel line. I am taking the boat out tomorrow and run it. I will know for sure then.