Spark Plug Question 1976 Mercury 110 9.8

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been working on a 1976 Mercury 110 9.8. It didn't have any spark so I installed a new switch box. I cleaned the carb, installed a new impeller, etc. Anyway, using my spark tester I am getting a good strong blue snap but when I install the plugs and give it a whirl I am getting nothing with the standard plug. In fact, I have pulled until I eventually broke the cord and had to fix that. What I did next was try another plug with a ground electrode that was the proper length. The little motor popped right off and ran but I shut it down immediately. I was wondering if someone knows a spark plug with an exposed ground, not the flat type as this motor doesn't seem to like them, that is compatible with this motor?

Dekker500

Seaman
A quick search through the manual calls for Champion L-77V or AC V40FFK. Note that both are surface gap plugs (flat).

Doing a Google search shows each plug has many alternatives, but they will all be surface gap due to the CDI system that engine uses. Verify the plugs you are testing are one of the valid alternatives for those plugs, and go from there... It may be you got a dud..

Dekker500

Seaman
Oh, I should mention the plugs I listed are dependant on your engine's serial number!
14 59599 2 SPARK PLUG (CHAMPION L-77V) UNITED STATES 3795658 THRU 4126459 AUSTRALIA 8015040 THRU 8028439 BELGIUM 9041439 THRU 9078138 CANADA 7027323 THRU 7049107
14 58194 2 SPARK PLUG (AC V40FFK) UNITED STATES 4126460 AND UP AUSTRALIA 8028440 AND UP BELGIUM 9078139 AND UP CANADA 7049108 AND UP

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. Obviously there is something else wrong here. With a new switch box it should have worked if only the box were the problem. I will probably check the stator and trigger next. It is supposed to run with those weird surface gap plugs and I suppose if I had everything right it would. Hopefully I didn't kill the new switch box.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
And, maybe if I got real lucky it is something else and the box I took off isn't bad. Not too optimistic about that though.

emckelvy

Commander
Try a set of Champion L77JC4 spark plugs, they have the right reach and the heat range should be close enough to test run the motor on standard plugs. You should be able to find some at your local NAPA, and they should be cheaper than at a marine store.

A few years back I was troubleshooting a 7.5 Merc with CDI and it seemed like the spark was just fine. But it wouldn't pop off in the barrel no matter what I did.

I threw a set of standard plugs in it, like you did, and was able to get it running on one cylinder, as I recall. Turned both the coils were shot, but one of them was close enough to failure that it still would spark a standard plug; but the firing voltage to spark a Perma-Gap plug was too much. It was pointing out the weakness in the coil and if I remember correctly it was cracked and had arc marks on it. A good set of coils later, and it ran like a champ!

I just got done working on another 7.5 that wouldn't run on one cyl. It had a fat spark on both cylinders as well, but wouldn't pop under pressure. I researched replacement coils because the large orange ones have been superceded by the skinner coils and used in a lot of different ADI motors. Readily available cheap on eBay, and I just happened to have a good one sitting around in the parts locker! Threw on the used coil and she pops like mad!

So, in conclusion, even if the coil appears good, it might be losing spark under cylinder pressure. Switching to standard plugs may or may not allow the coil to spark and lead you to the problem.

I'm thinking before you spend a lot of money on expensive electronic components, it might be wise to invest in a DVA adapter for your meter, they are available cheap or build one (links for that recently posted, or use the Search feature).

Here's one that will do the trick, it'll allow you to properly measure all the high voltage at ign coils and also on any switchbox/stator wiring:

http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatoolwarehouse/ESI-640.html

One other thing I've observed, these coils seem to crack a lot, due to age and design, I suppose. Sometimes a cracked coil will still be firing, but when they get bad enough they may arc from the coil to ground. You can actually hear this arcing if your ear is close enough to the coil! Darndest thing, but I've caught this on quite a few of the little motors so I know it isn't just a fluke. Just one more thing to look for!

HTH & let us know what you find............ed

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '76 7.5 that will not start...NGK BUZHW-2 surface gap plugs...both spark. I got it from CL and the brown trigger wires were shorted to each other at a terminal block...correcting the connection gave it spark. I have not worked on it for awhile. I'll follow your progress and start a new topic if I get mine going. Good luck.

hi I have a 9.8 merc without serial number looks like someone ground them out. it has surface plugs and I think I need to overhaul it it runs but squeals hi pitch but need to know the year if someone could help. I willt add picture of the coils if I can on the coild it is printed perma coil. also on the block says lighting any help would be great email peonu2@hotmail.com

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Look around and see if your engine has a hidden freeze plug on it, many manufacturer stamped a serial number into the freeze plugs