Early 60's Kiekhaefer - Merc 450 - 45HP distributor dilema...

BigStrawDog

Cadet
Greetings all,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I've inherited an old Merc (Ser # 1531569) and would like to get her going. She cranks well but has no spark. So I opened up the distributor cap and the rotor came apart. Been looking on the web for a replacement and have yet to find something suitable for a reasonable price. Original rotor p/n is 394-2602. Does anyone know of an aftermarket or repro rotor that is readily available and will work?

Thanks a bunch in advance....

Attachments

• Merc_2.jpg
    Merc_2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Merc_1.jpg
    Merc_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's a magneto used on many 4 cylinder Mercs over the years. There no aftermarket source that I've found for mine and OEM are no longer available at an logical price. Check Ebay - There are some listings for used rotors. Some vendors do have new, pricy ones.

emckelvy

Commander
Talk about sticker shock! :0

Here's a really scroungy looking rotor on eBay, but it's cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271793193163

You might ask the seller to send you a couple of non-fuzzy pictures so you can verify it's the one you need. I couldn't believe there were only 2 rotors listed on ebay by part number, new ones and way over $150.00! To think I used to buy complete motors for $25! Those days are gone for sure.

HTH & G'luck..........ed

BigStrawDog

Cadet
Thanks Ed. That one sure looks pretty grungy heh. I epoxied my existing rotor back together and a good clamp around the base, we'll see if she holds for the time being while I try and source a new one....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hope it holds, Big. You don't want to look at the price of caps either.

You might look around for a broken motor. Usually a lot cheaper parts source than finding parts alone.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # 1 on a motor like that is to evaluate the condition of the motor.---Compression test .--Or remove the bypass covers and have a look at the pistons and rings.--Inspect lower unit for water and inspect those carbon steel shaft where seals ride too.--Replace impeller.--If you need good used ignition parts PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigStrawDog

Cadet
Thanks for all the help on this, much appreciated.

Legend has it this motor ran before it was put away about 2 or 3 years ago, boat and motor came with the property we bought.
Pulled the plugs and they are in really good shape, motor spins and has lots of compression.The mag works fine, haven't got to the fuel delivery yet, would like to get it firing first.

New impeller is on my list (that search should be fun) and looking into the possibility of upgrading the mag/distributor combo to something a little less relic-y...