1973 65hp Mercury outboard questions/issue

ddrumm

Recruit
Hello forum. Hopefully someone out there can give some advise for my old 73 mercury. I recently got this motor and an old boat when cleaning out my pap's barn. My pap said the motor ran last 2 years ago and was properly winterized. I am new to boating so I apologize if any of the questions sound dumb. I got new fuel and fuel line to the motor. It sounds like it wants to fire if I put the throttle all the way up when trying to start it, but it just wont turn over. Checked spark and have spark to all 3 cylinders, have gas to carbarator (infact it drips a little) I read on here it may need the points cleaned in the magneto, but am not sure where that is. I know this is not very much info. but it is about all I have. Wondering if there is a manual out there for such an old motor? If it helps the serial number is 3551635. ANy information would be great. Thank you in advance.

gholmesjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just completely went through my 1975 65hp 3 cyl 650 and to me, it sounds like you need to clean the carbs, throw a carb kit on each, and tune and time.

ddrumm

Recruit
Thank you for the information. Is there a particular number on the carb that I need to get a carb kit? Can I get that at any boat repair shop?