1992 75 hp mercury running issues, constant beeep alarm

So ran into a few issues with my first outing on my boat, 1992 sea ray 160 with a 92 75hp merc

I deleted the oil pump by removing the impeller and shaft I reconnected the oil lines however I cut the line in between the fuel line and pump and capped both of them off.

Drained old fuel put in fresh stuff with 91 oct using lucas semi synthetic 40-1 with a bottle of sea foam.

the issues...

1st I noticed the alarm constantly started to beep... one steady beep and it also did it not running with the key in the "on" position. once in a blue moon i caught it not going off after sitting for a while... I though it may be the the oil level sensor so i disconnected the 2 blue wires but didnt do any difference.

2nd issue - it didn't want to climb RPMS worth 2 shits and more or less maxed out at 3k. It did once in a while climb to around 4200 but took a long time to climb up and it would bog here n there if we gave it too much gas off the start...

the water pump is working it has a strong **** stream so I know its not over heating.

the only thing we changed is we went from BUZHW-02 NGK plugs to BUHW-2 NGK as the BUZ plugs are discontinued

Now I did read somewhere that these motors don't have a "safe/limp" mode?

my next plan right now is to tear carbs out, clean and replace the primer / fuel lines as their a bit older...

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, im about to buy the manual for the motor but definitely would help to have an idea on a few things that would be happening ESPECIALLY is this motor doesnt have a safe mode and not wanting to rev out.

after doing a SOLID few hours of searching I came up to a few answers on my own....

The merc doesnt seem to have any kind of limp / safety mode...

constant beep from the key / throttle box is a temp / over heat issue.

The fact it does it while motor not running and cold at times shows it could be a faulty Tstat, module or alarm

as for the motor not running to full power... this is where I am still not 100% other then attempting to change fuel line and primer like mentioned and taking the carbs apart just its inconsistent in how it runs at times so makes me think its not overly a fuel issue

Last edited:
k so took apart the T stat and temp sensor housing along with the poppet valve.

the Temp sensor did have a SLIGHT amount of corrosion on it so I guess it should be changed, the T stat looks pretty gummed up as well so ill have that on order too I got no doubt its due from sitting so long being inactive

For the poppet valve I see it has a "line" on part of the end at the X section does that time / line up to anything? I tried searching in manual but couldnt find the answer I needed unless its not mentioned.

1st time tearing into a boat motor so learning as I go

I decided to ditch the oil tank all together, I caught another oil line leaking over night so I gave in and just cut the lines and capped them. I am going to just order a new fuel line and get rid of that T section that T's off to the oil pump.

On that note - Whats the fuel lime size going from the inlet to fuel pump? im assuming any kind of air leak within the fuel line would starve the motor...

Pics are for shits n giggles for the most part... good reference for myself too
iriy74C.jpg

s4BF07H.jpg

LgfgpGU.jpg

tN3fur4.jpg

55IR9iC.jpg