Bench starting a non tiller 40 hp 4 cyl 2 stroke

Gbrown062

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I got my hands on a merc 40 4 cyl with oil injection and i have no idea what year it is as i cant find any badging but i was told it didnt run. I build a stand and now im ready to start investigating but its was in a boat with remote and steering wheel so now i need help knowing which pins to use for the run circuit. I know which are for the starter. Can someone help me here

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Make sure you have the lower unit submerged in water or your experience is going to be very short on learning about this engine.

Gbrown062

Recruit
Ahh yes i have muffs and i do know about boat motors as i have rebuilt one in the past. But thanks. Im asking which wires to jump to put it in run mode

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
The ignition system is self-energizing and you don't want to put power into it!

What you really need to know is how to kill the ign if the engine does start. There should be a kill wire going to the switchbox, it'll probably be black with a white stripe (or yellow stripe). Ground that terminal on the switchbox to kill spark.

Here's a link to online repair manuals, this may or may not be your model but the ign system info should be similar. Look up your particular engine from its serial number.

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/m..._4cyl.html#/30

HTH............ed