1997 mercury 15m

mtaylor510

Recruit
Won't start. Got a new fuel tank cause old one was leaking. It ran before this issue but now it won't at all. Good spark and compression. Cleaning the carb out. What gas mixture should I use for this model? I'm assuming 50 to 1 but I'm probably wrong

ChizelSpiel7

Seaman
Im in the process of changing fuel hoses on fuel tank. On a 1990 thompson cutlass 190. But i cannot reach the hose clamps through the access panel. I though id ask you since you just replaced your tank. Do i have to cut the floor in order to get to those hoses on gas tank?

Dekker500

Seaman
50:1 mix is right. (Though unhealthy for the engine, it should still start with no oil, or even double the oil at 25:1, albeit smoky)

All I can do is offer some suggestions:
  • Are you sure your new tank is working properly?
  • Are you getting good "firmness" to your primer bulb?
  • Did you flood the carb?
  • Is it possible the carb's float is stuck?
  • Did you miss a piece in the carb when you put it back together? (it happens!)
  • Did you adjust any of the adjustment screws on the carb, and mess up the mix? If so, you'll have to return them all to "safe" settings and re-tune.
I know it was working before, but sometimes when you futz with things, they react badly. Hopefully one of these suggestions leads to a solution!