1995 Mariner fuel filter questions.....

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I have a new to me1995 Mariner 9.9 that I am planning on doing a carb cleaning to and since the fuel filter housing is pretty old and stained I decided to order a kit, housing, filter, hoses etc....part # 87946a15. I am puzzled on two things. How do you remove the old filter body?? I know it has a threaded tip but how does it come off? My manual says nothing about it except on replacing the filter itself, which does not help. Does it pull out , down or what? Does it bolt in somehow I am missing? Dont; want to rip or break anything guessing. Also, even though it says A15 on the quicksilver bag the filter assembly I got looks like an updated part or wrong one in bag,. The difference is that my old one has the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. This has them both on one side. I think I can use it but puzzled. Did Mercury consolidate part numbers does anyone know?

Last edited:

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

This is a drawing of the filter assembly....These are used on a lot or Mercury motors. I know to replace the filter you simply unscrew the housing cover and replace the filter but mine is old and discolored. I want to replace the whole assembly. I see the threaded top and the little cap....Does this plug into the starter handle or do you have to remove the handle bracket to take this off? Sure it is simple but again my manual says nothing on it. Looks like Mercury superseded the number so mine should be fine.

Attachments

• photo224707.png
    photo224707.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 0

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
well, apparently my manual DID mention this procedure...Just had to look in the manual starter section for dis-assembly. While it is not mentioned in the fuel section when you look at the manual starter section it says to pry straight down to remove the filter housing....Guess is does indeed snap in. Doh!