Mercury 9 amp voltage regulator?

Schnidly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone tell me if there is a voltage regulator I can install made for a 1988 Mercury 90hp 3cyl. 2 cycle outboard? The serial number is 0B302485. I installed a radio shack rectifier that is better rated than the mercury rectifier. I know CDI makes one designed to replace this rectifier, but I am not sure if Mercury made one in lieu of just the rectifier?

emckelvy

Commander
Your motor came with a rectifier, a separate voltage regulator, and a tach terminal block. The V. Reg and tach block are very expensive to replace.

Mercury makes a rectifier/regulator assembly that will replace all of the above components. You can find that part here on iboats and elsewhere.

Here's the part number for that particular rectifier/regulator assy (inlcudes some old P/N's for reference: 815279-3. 815279-5, 883072T.

Aftermarket #'s include Sierra Marine 18-5743 ($112.49 here at iboats), and CDI 194-5279 ($162.77 here at iboats).

Doing a bit of digging into my archives, I found an old thread here at iboats that has a lot of good info on doing this mod:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...riner-outboards/631682-high-voltage-from-merc

Note that you may not have bullet connectors on your wiring, you'll either need to adapt the new rect/reg assy to your wiring or adapt your wiring to the rect/reg.

The Merc V6 rect/reg has an extra red wire and if yours does not have that extra connection, you can either crimp the 2 wires into one lug, or spare-out one wire. The V6's have higher charging amps and needed 2 wires; one red wire will easily handle the max current your alternator puts out.

You would remove your old V.Reg if it's still there, and also the tach wire block. The grey wire on the V6 unit becomes the tach output and you'd connect the tan/brown tach sensing wire from the engine's wiring harness to the grey wire.

The biggest challenge you may find is mounting the unit. But if you're handy, it shouldn't be that difficult to find an appropriate mounting spot. Maybe where the old regulator sat. Or a simple bracket might do. If you are able to mount it on a flat surface, it doesn't hurt to spread a thin layer of heat sink compound on the rect/rect, it'll help dissipate heat & extend the life of the unit.

Well, hope all that makes sense! HTH..........ed

18-5743_big.jpg