**help** new water separator install and fuel flow problems

TheBlitz

Cadet
Hey guys so I just finished adding a water separator to my boat. I have a 2000 campion with a 93 merc black max 135. Before the install recently I noticed that the boat would suddenly die when running but not all the time. I would check the fuel primer bulb and it would feel empty. A few quick shots of fuel and it would start back up again until it would die out again. If I continue to pump the primer bulb I can keep it going and running. After about 5 min it will quit again. I didn't seem to notice this as much before the water separator install. But now I just took the boat out with the family and had to have the wife drive it back while I pumped the fuel bulb to limp home. Wasn't exactly the most relaxing trip.

I have posted pictures of the install it went fairly straight forward. I did remove a section of fuel line as it was really long and shortened it up from the tank to the motor. Does this fuel line need to be longer? Does the primer bulb suppose to stay full when in use? Could it be a bad primer bulb or fuel pump?

What are some things to check?

Attachments

• IMG_4917.JPG
    IMG_4917.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4919.JPG
    IMG_4919.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys so I just finished adding a water separator to my boat. I have a 2000 campion with a 93 merc black max 135. Before the install recently I noticed that the boat would suddenly die when running but not all the time. I would check the fuel primer bulb and it would feel empty. A few quick shots of fuel and it would start back up again until it would die out again. If I continue to pump the primer bulb I can keep it going and running. After about 5 min it will quit again. I didn't seem to notice this as much before the water separator install. But now I just took the boat out with the family and had to have the wife drive it back while I pumped the fuel bulb to limp home. Wasn't exactly the most relaxing trip.

I have posted pictures of the install it went fairly straight forward. I did remove a section of fuel line as it was really long and shortened it up from the tank to the motor. Does this fuel line need to be longer? Does the primer bulb suppose to stay full when in use? Could it be a bad primer bulb or fuel pump?

What are some things to check?

Sounds like you had a problem before the new filter was installed and it may be making it worst. My first thought is to check your fuel pump on the motor

New2 boats2

Cadet
If you have removable tanks, check them, they might be making a vacuum and not letting fuel to the engine.

TheBlitz

Cadet
Sounds like you had a problem before the new filter was installed and it may be making it worst. My first thought is to check your fuel pump on the motor

Correct it just started and I thought maybe it was bad fuel or water in the fuel tank hence the new install. Unfortunetly my tank is fixed so I am unable to remove it. I am thinking it must be the fuel pump as I know if I continue to squeeze it I can keep the motor running which really is like me manualy being the fuel pump. Is it common for fuel pumps to become weaker or do they just quit out? I am hoping my fuel pump has just lost some of its power and a new one/rebuild will be fine.

My second question if you notice my install I have the primer bulb before the water seperator and I shortened the line quite a bit to make it more direct thinking my fuel would have less to travel and be better for flow. Now when I am looking at it its quite a bit shorter and as you can see fuel could easily fall back into the tank if pressure is not up. Could it be a bad primer bulb letting gas flow back into the tank? Just trying to do all the basics first before fuel pump. Should I have more slack between the tank/primer bulb and water sperator?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Hope an expert comes in and comments, but as a non-expert, I'll say the primer bulb should be of no issue so long as the hose, bulb and connections do not have any air leaks. The bulb can be anywhere in the line and should have no issue. The pump on the motor should have no issue lifting the fuel up from the distance I can see.
fetch

TheBlitz

Cadet
Hope an expert comes in and comments, but as a non-expert, I'll say the primer bulb should be of no issue so long as the hose, bulb and connections do not have any air leaks. The bulb can be anywhere in the line and should have no issue. The pump on the motor should have no issue lifting the fuel up from the distance I can see.
fetch

Thank you for your reply. I was more concerned about how my primer bulb is verticle and if the valve is slightly open gravity will feed the fuel back into the tank. Its quite obvious the pressure is not enough to get the fuel from the tank to the motor properly simply sqeezing the primer bulb fixes this issue which points back to the fuel pump I would think?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see that being an issue there is a check valve in there and folks have them vertical quit often. Here is one located at a site, and it was a factory install
305CQOptimaxRigging640x480.jpg

Last edited:

TheBlitz

Cadet
thanks for all the help. A lot of people are telling me to replace the check valve on the gas tank as well as the fuel line including the primer bulb first and then if that doesnt resolve the problem look at replacing or rebuilding fuel pump.

I just thought due to me having to manually pump the primer bulb to keep it from dieing this would be clear it was fuel pump but I guess not entirely...?