Runs great for an hour or so then stops

dmiz09

Recruit
I have a '83 Mercruiser 470 3.7 and it starts, idles, and runs fine for an hour or two and then if I go to idle it stops. I can get it started again but as soon as I put it in gear and try to power up it dies. I've changed the fuel, and fuel filter. Very frustrated.

91Astro

Cadet
Dmiz,

I am no expert but I can tell you what happened to my '91 Mariner 150 V6....mine did the same as you described....not sure if this is a fair comparison, but may be helpful?

The oil injection system failed before I bought the boat. Being a newb, I bought the boat after seeing the motor run in a tub of water. I know now..., Anyway, as I ran it, the motor kept bogging down and finally quit. Long story short, I had 50-70 compression in the scored cylinders and was fortunate that the motor was still a "virgin" and could be rebuilt. My tech said he sees this happen 3 to 4 times per year. He disabled my oil injection system so that now I premix (50:1) my fuel and never worry about the oil injection. He removed the oil resevoir under the deck as well, giving me lots of storage room. I have all the oil injection parts in a box should I ever sell to someone that wants the oil injection system back.

I hope yours is a simpler and less costly fix.

Good luck,
Dan

dmiz09

Recruit
Thanks, Dan. This has happened the last three times out. It runs great for an hour or so each time. It seems like a gas issue which is why I changed the gas and took it out again. Ran for an hour and then as I was idling through a no-wake zone it quit and I couldn't get it started again bringing the second tow back to the ramp. Then I changed the fuel filter and it ran for two hours. I brought it to an idle and it quit and I couldn't get it started again bringing the third tow back to the ramp. I can't figure what is causing the issue after it runs so good.

91Astro

Cadet
Very frustrating...I know. As I said, I had similar symptoms. Hopefully an expert will weigh in on this soon.

Dan